General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up in TN for non-DOT helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Why the heck would anybody wear a freakin toy on there head instead of the real thing,if you have to wear a helmet at least wear one that will do you some good.
Why the heck would anybody ride a freakin two wheel toy instead of drive in an car with a complete cage ,front and side airbags a 4 point harness, hans device and a fire supression system?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The law is the law, whether you like the law or not, whether you agree with the law or not, if you choose to disobey the law you are taking the risk of getting ticketed. I personally don't agree with the helmet law, I think everyone should be able to choose whether they wear a helmet or not. Even if there were no helmet law I would usually wear one, however I think everyone should be able to choose for themselves.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 PM
oljim49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdrider07
I have been riding in TN for 22 years now. I have and never heard of any one just being pulled over for the helmet not being approved. I have riders that wear the non dot, been pulled over and the fuzz never did say anything about the helmets. Sorry to hear that you will not be coming threw TN any more. I don't see how a cop has been trained to see a helmet from accross the interstate and tell if it is DOT approved or not. They have them now that look like the non DOT but they are DOT helmets. I think the cop was just pulling you over just to check you and bike out and just noticed the helmet. Also you said you knew the law. So if you knew the law then it was your fault. I don't see why you would not come back in TN and spend you money.
Look, I don't know what was in his mind and don't really care.....he did ticket me for just the non DOT helmet and I personally think that's BS. My not spending $ in TN is just my choice as his was to be a badge-happy jerk......BTW, that assessment was made by a deputy sheriff from Bristol that I met in Daytona who knows of this particular officer's reputation. This is my last comment on this issue as again, my intent was just to inform. You may want to check out this link I just took off the TN Abate Chapter's website regarding this issue:

http://www.cmtabate.com/

Enjoy the ride all.

Last edited by oljim49; 10-29-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by oljim49
To the folks that commented about the "toy helmet" etc., again, this post ain't meant to get into a debate between those that CHOOSE to wear DOTs versus those of us that don't......to me that should be just that....FREEDOM of CHOICE, but that discussion is not the point here. I just wanted those that haven't been wearing the "authorized" variety to know what happened to me to hopefully save them some $.....period!
I agree with your reasoning, even if I don't agree with your "choice".

Missouri is another helmet law state, and those helmets are required to be DOT approved.
However, it seems it is randomly enforced. Every now and then though, they'll get on a kick and start enforcing it.

As sad as it is, it seems it all comes down to who pulls you over and what kind of day they've had.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo

As sad as it is, it seems it all comes down to who pulls you over and what kind of day they've had.

And that is called "unprofessional" ....

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stop for gas just south of Daytona going to Biketober Fest, as I was pumping gas a State Trooper pulled up at the pump next to me, got off his bike walked over and ask, "Is that your bike?" I came real close to saying, "No, I'm giving away free gas." but I just said, "Yes."

He then pointed to my vertically mounted lic. tag holder and told me it was a $1000.00 fine for not having an horizontal tag holder. He also said it was aimed at "Sports Bikes" but he still had to follow the law and the write tickets anyway.

By that time I was finished pumping gas, hung up the nozzle, got on my bike, looked at him as I fired it up and said, "Thanks." I left as quickly as passable, without looking back.

I don't know what he was going to do but I knew that if I was going to get a ticket it would be on I-95 not setting in a gas station.

I did change to a horizontal tag holder this past Monday. Next I more than likely need to at lest put some baffles in my V&H Short Shots.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
2Sore
Road Master

Believe me guys, it's not the helmet..it's the Harley. I got stopped a couple of years ago on the Natchez Trace with the same scenario. Coming at me, flipped around and pulled me over cause he thought my helmet wasn't Dot approved. Well, it turns out that he was a BMW rider so he asked me how I liked the HD. I told him it was a POS and he shouldn't own one. Well, long story short, he wasn't sure if the helmet was approved or not cause it didn't have a sticker on it. I told him that I took the sticker off cause it didn't look cool on a HD. He wished the state would give them a class to tell the difference. So I got out of the ticket with some BS after 45 minutes. It's a Tenn. tax on HD riders!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Exactly........maybe the trooper just saved your family major medical expenses
Truly freaking amazing!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
GeorgeH
Advanced

Originally Posted by oljim49
\
I asked how he knew that from across the median

Almost anyone can tell. Just compare for yourself

Yeah, I know it's the law, and I know that technically I was in the wrong......

And yet you are upset at the trooper?

I asked him what I was supposed to do since it was the only helmet I had and he told me to just carry my copy of the citation and if anyone else stopped me to show it to them and it would be OK!! I didn't argue but was thinking if it was illegal and such a heinous crime......shouldn't he have taken me somewhere to get an authorized helmet or impounded my scooter until I got one or something??

He very well could have so consider yourself lucky.

Seems to me he was making law instead of enforcing it.

So enforcement would be letting it slide or doing nothing? He done his job and you are mad at him.

Also, yes I did consider going to court and fight this, but it's 350 miles from home and would have cost me more in gas & hotel room etc. to do that...

PLUS COURT COSTS
If a trooper pulls you over around here, they are less likely to cut anyone some slack however a city cop took someone to the Harley dealer and told him to buy a helmet and he wouldnt give him a ticket.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,386 Likes on 8,420 Posts

Ya gotta have that DOT on the 'ol skid lid here in Tennessee.
A friend of mine has a label printer at work, he makes mine.
BTW tima, thanks for the donation, maybe they'll fix that pot hole down the street now!

OOOoooHHhhhhh, that was mean, just plain mean!

Quick Reply: Picked up in TN for non-DOT helmet