General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MRS. Klockwerks sets land speed record

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRS. Klockwerks sets land speed record

Heres a clip from our local news station about Laura Klock, her hubby runs Klockwerks Custom. 153.9 mph at Bonneville. Good for her...and she is smoking hot to boot!

http://www.kustomcycles.com/

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,75572

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of bike? What size bike? I know must of the stock Dyna's will come close to that speed on the roads. It's not fun with out a windshield but with a shield I have done 130+ and still had the power to do more.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Honey, does this bike make my azz look 'fast'?"

Well, when you live in SoDak, there are 2 things to do, GO FAST for long distances, or drink. Guess they are not into those fancy wine tasting clubs.

The Family that plays together, stays together.

Not only do they build good lookin' scoots, but, REAL FAST ones, too.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
jto667
Tourer

Four ladies were riding for Team Klock Werks at the Motorcycle Speed Trials by Bub on the Bonneville Salt Flats this year. After a week of racing, Team Klock Werks came back with FIVE new National Land Speed Records! As a bonus, Laura Klock defended the “World’s Fastest Bagger” record, and her daughters Erika (17 – senior at Hanson High School) and Karlee (14 – freshman at Mitchell High School) joined her as record holders on their own bikes, making the trio the first mother-daughter-daughter in history to set land speed records in the same year at the same event. At age 14, Karlee was the youngest female participant, and she set two of the five records in her rookie attempt.
Laura Klock faced the tough challenge of being a supportive and encouraging mother while trying to set a land speed record of her own. She was successful at both roles. Laura has piloted the WFB (World’s Fastest Bagger) to multiple records since her first attempt in 2006, and this year she reached a new personal best, and a new record. The WFB, #3338 in MPS-PF 3000, reached a top speed of 153.906 mph, with a new record on the books of 153.592. The WFB utilizes many of Klock Werks signature series parts including the patent pending Flare Windshield.
Erika Cobb returned this year after setting a land speed record on a 500 cc Buell Blast in 2007. Erika rode a 1995 Buell S2 for this year’s speed trials. She set a new land speed record on the Buell #455 in P-PP 1350 of 130.392, and her personal best for the week was 132.206.
While both Erika and Karlee have traveled to the salt with the team since 2006, Karlee was unable to participate simply because she wasn’t old enough. This year she was able to get a valid driver’s license from the state of South Dakota, where it is allowed to be licensed at the age of 14, and participate. Karlee rode the Buell Blast that Erika piloted in 2007, which means that she went after her older sister’s record. Karlee not only broke the old record on the Buell Blast #3333 (110.724 mph in class MPS-PG500), she also set an additional record by running the bike in another class by removing the fairing (107.391 in class M-PG 500). Her personal best is 111.580 mph.
With Karlee’s land speed records, she will join her mother and older sister in the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum’s “First Ladies of Motorcycling” exhibit as the first mother-daughter-daughter trio in history to hold Bonneville National Land Speed Records in the same year.
Also new to the Klock Werks team was Michelle Mielke, who is the wife of Klock Werks service manager, Joe Mielke. Michelle was riding her 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 bike #415 in M-P 650 and set a land speed record of 102.1. Her personal best was 102.389.
All of these land speed records are under AMA (American Motorcycle Association) sanctioning and are subject to final verification. Records on the Bonneville Salt Flats are an average of two passes – one being a qualifying down run and then a return run. A rider must be at or above the existing record speed to qualify for a return pass. The Bub Speed Trials are sponsored by AMA so the return pass is made in the opposite direction on the course. The speed is an average of how fast you pass through a measured mile (which is the middle mile of the course). There is no separation between male and female or by age. Bikes are placed in classes based on their frame, fuel and motor size.
Team Klock Werks came home with more than just land speed records. The Team also won an award sponsored by www.landracing.com given to the team who has the cleanest and most organized area in the pits.
Team Klock Werks mentions that they feel so blessed to have the team that they have which includes all who were out on the salt with them and everyone taking care of things back home. Some teams travel to the salt for years and years and don’t come away with the number of successful passes and records that Team Klock Werks has. The salt was in great condition this year and the weather was amazing. The team did face mechanical challenges and some humbling experiences as most teams do, but is ALWAYS an event to remember.
Team Klock Werks would like to extend congratulations to High Country Harley Davidson of Frederick, Colorado and rider Kevin Edgmon for their true efforts with their Road Glide at the Bub Speed Trials this week. They got a record in their own class, MPS-PG 2000 if 143.409, and they were rockin the Klock Werks Flare Windshield, a product designed for downforce and born on the salt.
Thanks to our sponsors ICON, Avon Tyres, S&S, Baker Drivetrain, NOS energy drinks, Drag Specialties, Dynatek, Pingel, Baron Performance, Crossroads Performance, and Buell Brothers and Sisters.
Photos from the Bub Speed Trials on the Bonneville Salt Flats for Team Klock Werks will be available from Dave Sietsema of www.firesteelcreekphotography.com, Scooter Grubb of www.scootershoots.com, Horst Roesler of www.motographer.de, Chris Callen of www.cyclesourcemagazine.com and our own video and photos on www.kustombaggers.com.
Klock Werks continues to lead the industry on the design of after-market kustom parts and accessories for all motorcycles including their line of WFB© (World’s Fastest Bagger) parts specifically designed for touring models. To see the full spectrum of what Brian Klock and the team at Klock Werks is capable of, please visit www.kustombaggers.com and or www.kustomcycles.com
For bike specifications or more information, please contact Laura Klock (laura@kustomcycles.com) or Melissa Waddell (melissa@kustomcycles.com) by email or at Klock Werks (605) 996-3700.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Hot women and fast bikes!! What a combination.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's just freakin' awesome! Major props to those ladies.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The world record for a 650 V Star is 102mph? I've gone that fast on a 650 before ,on the highway, And that was in the 60s!what's the deal?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
spike95
Road Master

Originally Posted by honestbob
The world record for a 650 V Star is 102mph? I've gone that fast on a 650 before ,on the highway, And that was in the 60s!what's the deal?
I don't know, but think that it may be a record for a woman her age as opposed to the engine size. Just like I've had my Deluxe to 120 on the freeway, and they are acting like 130 is a big deal on a Buell. Regardless, I'd love to have a woman that runs the salt flats. I'm 26, so the older daughter is almost old enough for me!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
Several "deals" on this. 650 V-star is a pretty mild motor. And you'd be surprised at how fast a stock bike won't go. Especially over a several miles long course, and with changing road (salt) conditions thrown in. Wheel slip can be a big factor if the salt conditions aren't just right, or just a minor factor when conditions are perfect. Next, one run doesn't cut it - gotta make 2 runs, and your final speed is the average of the two runs.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
What type of bike? What size bike? I know must of the stock Dyna's will come close to that speed on the roads. It's not fun with out a windshield but with a shield I have done 130+ and still had the power to do more.
Not calling you out, or even doubting your word, but a stock Dyna doesn't make enough HP to push that speed with an average weight rider. What the speedo says is often a bit exaggerated, and even if you have plenty of throttle left, all that usually means is you've run out of power before you've run out of throttle.

Bring us a time ticket, courtesy of a local LEO!

Thirty years ago I ran a 420 pound stroked XLCH - 77 inches, ported, polished, cammed, carbed, tweaked, and massaged. It was a beast, regularly caused cracks in the too-light rigid frame, ate clutches, and spit the tranny guts out the trap door. It was theoretically geared for a bit past 140 mph, but didn't have the juice to push enough air aside after about 135 mph. I had throttle left. And that 135 figure was arrived at courtesy of a Wisconsin state patrol.

Quick Reply: MRS. Klockwerks sets land speed record