General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What toys for toys for tots run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually strap a swing set on the scoot.

Seriously, I normally donate a football or soccer ball.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
dcmassena
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, can't go wrong with a football, soccerball or even a basketball. Boardgames are good too.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jarhead45
PLEASE !!!! PLEASE !!!! As someone / "club" that is running the toy run this year. No more stuffed animals. Everyone brings stuffed animals. Not that they are not appreciated but that 6 foot stuffed dinosour is tough to find a kid for. Lots of times these kids move around alot and need toys they can pack up and move on. I try and get games like monopoly and clue and just anything a group of kids could find amusing and distracting. Tonka toys and tough stuff like that is good and like was mentioned think about those young men out there 13 - 15 and include them if ya can. God bless ya, some of these kids , we are all they got for Xmas.
Great advice - I would have gone for the stuffed animals and second would be something with batteries that are expensive. So what do you get a young man 13-15? I agree they get left out but don't have a clue

Lisa

Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarleyGirl76
Great advice - I would have gone for the stuffed animals and second would be something with batteries that are expensive. So what do you get a young man 13-15? I agree they get left out but don't have a clue

Lisa

8 gig Ipod clones go for about 30 usd on a good day.... I have 3 !!!!

Just a thought..................

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about a "toys for tots" run, but we've been to a "toy run" sponsored by the Shriners up in Vermont, and we found out that they prefer NOT to have stuffed animals because they can't give them to the kids in the hospital because of allergies, or something like that?? Definitely board games are something you can find for all ages. I was going to suggest hand held electronic games, although put some batteries with it.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

there's a lot of toys for the younger kids... but there are still many older kids as well.... I usually give more than one toy.... maybe a football... a soccer ball, as well as something for the smaller kids.... board games are good too, monopoly and the like

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
andyg8786
Intermediate

I just stand in the Wally World toy aisle and see what jumps out at me. I've heard that about the stuffed animals so I stay away from them.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great tips.
We are doing our first one come Sunday here in Wichita!
Love the holidays!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Having Served on I-I Duty (Inspector-Instructor) in the Corps for 6 years, I can tell you from experience that the Toys most needed year after year are toys for 12-16 year olds. Everyone grabs a Stuffed Animal or Barbie because of convenience. Take Basketballs, Footballs, Video Games, etc. You can always donate cash and the Marines will ensure that the money goes where it is most needed. SEMPER FI!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
taz ride
Road Master
Smile

This helps the wife & I alot as we are a Toys For Tots drop off point. We were burning brain cells trying to come up with toy ideas. Thanks for all the help. We are going shopping today.

Quick Reply: What toys for toys for tots run?