General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much wind to blow over a bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask Mr.owl, he said it takes 3 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

We were going to Sturgis in '06, and came into Chamberlain SD from the north. Pulling up to a stop sign, we suddenly found ourselves on our side, with me wondering what the heck happened. Thanks to a couple of teenagers in the car behind us, we got it up, only to have it almost fall again. Chamberlain is a "valley town" and the wind really blows down through the valley. We don't know what the wind speed was, but it caught me totally by surprise.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at the MOTO GP in Indy this year, and there was some serious wind. We were on a motorcycle trip in Oregon this year, had finished our ride and took a walk to get an ice cream cone. At the Ice Cream shop we were sitting at a picnic bench when a guy on BMW pulled up to a little motel right across the street. We all watched him get off, put the kickstand down, and start to walk away. Wind came up, and just blew his bike over. We couldn't believe it. We all ran over to help him pick it up. No real damage, those cylinders really stick out. I know this is sad to say, but it was like a cartoon to watch. Kind of slow motion, and the bike just went over. We were all shocked. Didn't seem to be blowing that hard either.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes 68.124mph of wind blowing at a precise angle 135.62 degrees off centerline with the handlebars at full lock, 4.725 gallons of gas in the tank, and a pack of camel lights and a half empty zippo in the left saddlebag.
Seriously though, too many factors to take in to account.

Last edited by 1Coastie; 10-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I was at the MOTO GP in Indy this year, and there was some serious wind. We were on a motorcycle trip in Oregon this year, had finished our ride and took a walk to get an ice cream cone. At the Ice Cream shop we were sitting at a picnic bench when a guy on BMW pulled up to a little motel right across the street. We all watched him get off, put the kickstand down, and start to walk away. Wind came up, and just blew his bike over. We couldn't believe it. We all ran over to help him pick it up. No real damage, those cylinders really stick out. I know this is sad to say, but it was like a cartoon to watch. Kind of slow motion, and the bike just went over. We were all shocked. Didn't seem to be blowing that hard either.
How did he position the handlebars when he dismounted? It makes a big difference in the stability of the bike.