General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright dyna owners - Your opinions on this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008 | 09:55 PM
AdrianVall
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Alright dyna owners - Your opinions on this bike?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting some sort of sport bike for myself to ride during the week, and for my girl to start riding. I found this the other day, offered $750 cash, and he accepted. Watcha guys think? I'm going to slam it a good 3 inches, black it out, and the works. But I wanted your opinions. He says the bike was never abused. Clean and easy 40k miles. What are some things I should look for when I go to check it out? I know, I know, its not a Harley and yes it is rice, but I love all bikes. And this would feed my need for speed quite a bit. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I spend all my time on this section of the forums only, so I hope it doesn't get moved.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/891245836.html

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:00 PM
JRK5892
Banned

first off if you want to ride it like a sport bike... slamming it is the worst thing you can do... you will kill your lean angles and destroy the center of gravity the bike has... it is tought to judge a bike by a picture... you know me man i take em all! i say go for it.. if he does have the fairings you can get a plastic welding kit (something tells me they are banged up) and bondo it all up eihter that or just fiberglass it all.. i had to do that on my last rocket build.. it is a fast bik, light, and should be fun as hell... personally i would say screw the fairings and make a street fighter out of it... let us know what oyu do... if oyu need help wiht this bike let em know i have worked on them

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:11 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member

The YZF600 is a fun solid bike. I've got an 05 out in the workshop, but don't ride it much since I bought the SB. About the only thing questionable in them is a weak 2nd gear. Like JRK said, if the fairings are crap I'd turn it into a street fighter and ride the **** out of it. They aren't as fast as an R6, but are more roomy (read comfortable).

Edited to add: If 2nd gear is gone/going take a pass. It's a pain to fix and if you pay someone to do it you'll have more in that repair than you have in the bike.

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:19 PM
AdrianVall
|
Elite HDF Member

Joe: Thanks for the reply. I was definitely planning on leaving the fairings off. I love the way it looks without it. Like the naked bike look a lot. And I wanted to lower solely for my girl so she can reach the ground better. She's a new rider, so the biggest thing for her is being able to flat foot the bike. I'm sure it will still handle pretty well, and considering I live in south Florida, I don't exactly need a crazy leaning angle ride, ya know? I'll keep you updated!

donr: Thanks for the reply as well. I have heard about that weak 2nd gear. I guess I'll see if I can take a test ride on it before I buy it. But exactly what do you mean the 2nd gear being weak. It just doesn't shift very well, or what? What would it take to fix that problem, if it is a problem?

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:19 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

If you do get it, I would go the streetfighter rought as well. Although I'm a huge ducati monster/ MV Augusta/ triumph street triple fan. I love naked sport bikes when they aren't designed to be weak watered-down unfaired versions of the "type-r" sport bikes.

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:36 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
donr: Thanks for the reply as well. I have heard about that weak 2nd gear. I guess I'll see if I can take a test ride on it before I buy it. But exactly what do you mean the 2nd gear being weak. It just doesn't shift very well, or what? What would it take to fix that problem, if it is a problem?

Second gear seems to be made weak and rounded off the gear dogs are common especially on bikes that were ridden moderately hard. The dogs are on 2nd, but the engagement slots are on 6th so if it has a problem you have to replace both gears and it requires splitting the case to get to them, about $1000 in labor and $300ish in parts.
The only way to check it is to ride it and see if it pops out of gear under hard acceleration.

Last edited by donr101395; 10-25-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2008 | 10:39 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

I would totally go Road Warrior on that thing

Old 10-25-2008 | 11:04 PM
AdrianVall
|
Elite HDF Member

Alright! Thanks for the heads up donr. I really do appreciate it. I'll ride it when I get there, and see what happens. If it does what you say, I'm not even going to bother with it. Really don't want to put that sort of money into the bike.

Old 10-25-2008 | 11:09 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member

No problem, if it doesn't have the problem and you get it, just use the clutch and you'll be fine. Speed shifting tears the hell out of it.

Old 10-26-2008 | 08:16 AM
AdrianVall
|
Elite HDF Member

Well, to be honest... I don't even know what speed shifting is, so I guess I won't be doing it.. lol

But would you be worried about buying a sport bike with 40k miles? I'm afraid of getting it and the engine just dies within a year

Quick Reply: Alright dyna owners - Your opinions on this bike?