General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ear wind noise with scull cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 199 Posts
Default RE: ear wind noise with scull cap

When I'm on the interstate traveling I like to wear wrap around goggles that have an elastic strap that is approxmately 2-3 inches wide. The goggles serve a dual purpose in that they are superior eye protection than any regular goggle or sun glasses AND the straps cover directly over my ears. This acts as a damper for the wind and road noise and prevents things like bugs and dirt from entering my ears. I wear a half helmet. For even more hearing protection one could use the foam plugs underneath the straps.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input!

I had a carbon fiber helmet on order so what I did is call them and add the ear covers they are just sewn in so if i dont like them I can always just unstich them. If this doesnt work It will be the ear plugs I just have a hard time seeing myself putting them in before a ride and also dont want people thinking I use them because my pipes are to loud. The windshield is on in the pics because it was only 38 degrees that day I hate the way it looks so its only on when I need it.

Steve

Old 04-04-2006, 12:19 AM
ingenue
Road Captain

Is it from riding or playing? (music, that is - don't think you can get hearing loss from the other kind of playing )

ORIGINAL: Kess

You would be amazed at how much less fatigued you get when you wear plugs on a longer haul - They do make a big difference - I have 45% loss myself so now I am nursing what I have left!

Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use foam ear plugs like the ones in the photo below:

Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 AM
d42s
Cruiser

Custom fit ear plugs are the best. And you get in the habit quick of putting them in before your ride. They are easier to get in and out than the foam ones, and way more comfortable.
You don't even know they are in and you can alter then with filters to get more or less protection. I wear mine if I'm going to be on the freeway or going for longer than a 1/2 hour ride.
Steve

Old 04-04-2006, 03:32 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: went_postal

check out helmets like the ones from carbonfiberhelmets.com... They have an option to put flaps over the ears... It does not look as dorky as it sounds.
It's true, they're not bad looking at all. I ordered my helmet from ACC with the ear flaps. Hopefully get it in the next week or so.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Cotton ***** work too. Cheap, and they simply keep the wind out of your ears. But you can get any kind of expandables at the drug store.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I understand where you are coming from about not wanting people to think the wrong thing when you put the plugs in your ears. Personally, I think that my hearing is more importand than what others think. My eyes aren't the best in the world, so I would still like to hear what is going on around me. I have also noticed the difference with or without using the earplugs on a long run. My head feels better when I use them and I can still hear the sound of my SE2's, works for me.
ORIGINAL: intruder400ex

I had a carbon fiber helmet on order so what I did is call them and add the ear covers they are just sewn in so if i dont like them I can always just unstich them. If this doesnt work It will be the ear plugs I just have a hard time seeing myself putting them in before a ride and also dont want people thinking I use them because my pipes are to loud. The windshield is on in the pics because it was only 38 degrees that day I hate the way it looks so its only on when I need it.

Steve

Old 04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ear plugs for me too. Most of my hearing loss is in the hi freq range so I try really hard to keep the rest of it. Molded plugs are superior to foam plugs but the foam plugs are readily available so WHEN you loose one you can find another one pretty easy. I usually have 4-6 pair in my tour pac and some in my pocket. You can leave the foam plugs in your pants or pocket and wash them with the laundry. They come out nice and clean (smell better too.)[8D]

Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: intruder400ex

Steve
Steve, it doesn't matter what the blozos of the world think. Even with your new helmet you should be wearing ear plugs. Wind noise will damage your hearing if you ride a bike for any length of time. get the plugs & use 'em.

Quick Reply: ear wind noise with scull cap