General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is Your favorite solo ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is Your favorite solo ride?

I wrote this not too long ago and I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone to share their favorite (or most recent anyway) solo ride and their experience. Winter will be setting in here in the Northeast and the memories help pass the time. I know some have read mine already but to use it again for an example here it is again for your reading pleasure.

Please share yours if'n you like.

This was my first truly "lone wolf" ride. The kind of ride where it's just you the bike and the open road.
As I set off this weekend with no particular destination in mind - just a direction - North! I packed an overnight bag, strapped it to my bike, topped off the tank and off I went.

As I got out of the really familiar territory and as I got further and further away from home the scenery was positively breathtaking. This time of year in New England is like nothing else. The trees are turning colors, the smell of autumn is in the air. The air is cool and fresh. Soon all of us here in the north east will be putting our bikes away for the long winter which really sucks, but as I was riding I realized that I wouldn't trade this for anything. Those of us who can ride all year I say good for you but you don't have the best scenery in the entire country so (J/K)

The best part of a solo ride is stopping whenever and wherever you want. One of the best ones was in a town called Bradford NH where I found an old country store. The kind of store with wooden floors and a front porch with outdoor furniture on it. I went in grabbed a candy bar and an old fashioned rootbeer and went out to the porch and enjoyed. I fealt kind of like Little Opie. Small common, congregation church, lake in the distance. AHHHHH the way life should be.

Around 5:00pm and the tempurature started to drop as the sun began to set behind the trees and the mountains of Vermont & Newhampshire I got as far as Hanover NH and it was time to find a place to rest my head and my *** fealt like it needed a sling at this point. I got off route 89 and started to look for a place. camping was not an option (due to I didn't bring any gear with me). Dartmouth college in Hanover this weekend is their homecoming weekend and all the hotels in the entire region are booked solid.

I continued into Lyme NH just north of Hanover and found another general store. (dime a dozen in those parts). The merchant told me of a place called "Breakfast on the Connecticut" just a short distance from where we were. I followed her direcions found it with no problem. Long dirt driveway to get in to it. way off the road set way back. I was greated by the dog and went inside. Yep - you guessed it he was booked. Now I'm getting a bit worried as I remembered the "bear crossing" signs that I had passed getting to this place - Holy crap!

This guy made 8 -10 calls and he finally found a place in Frealie VT just 5 miles from there. I mention this here because he was very helpful and seemed "biker freindly" If anyone is ever in that area and looking for a place - I recommend it.

So I rode to the place that he found for me checked in and then from there had a hot meal and a couple of cold ones in a local joint called
"Your Place". - What a day!!!

Next morning (Sunday) Checked out of the hotel topped off the tank and started home. route 4 in queechee Vermont is the best riding road from route 89 all the way to Rutland Vermont to route 7. Beautiful road well maintained perfect mix of twisties and straight shots where you can open the throttle wide. Typical New England foothills, gorges, rivers, and more "fruity pebbled" color trees. The occasional pancake house that you can smell the bacon being cooked as you ride by. Open sky and on this day perfectly blue with no clouds.

After driving south on route 7 Got back into Massachusetts on route 2 (known here as the Mohawk trail) heading East. Now I've read alot about the Dragon and how cool it is. I'm here to tell you that in the western most side of the trail in the Berkshires of Massachusetts especially this time of year I would say that it ranks up there with the dragon. Clearly not as many "S" turns but fun just the same.

465 miles in all this past weekend. Simply can't wait for another adventure. This ride will be in my memories for a long long time.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by harleydude68; 10-24-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome!!! i had to put my bike away already up here in alaska. im glad tho that somebody is able to enjoy the fall! great write up!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
harleydude68
Road Master

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
awesome!!! i had to put my bike away already up here in alaska. im glad tho that somebody is able to enjoy the fall! great write up!
Thanks!! I'd bet that a solo ride up in your part of the world would be fan-f'n-tastic. Sorry to hear that your season is over.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite solo ride is when Iam by myself, I ride alone, with nobody else. L.ray

Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Going Solo

Originally Posted by l.ray
My favorite solo ride is when I am by myself, I ride alone, with nobody else. L.ray

My favorite too ! *snicker, snicker*

Here in central coast Oregon, the season is year round. Only sometimes, you have to bring along a snorkel to breath because it rains so hard sideways. I ride all year as the coast is absolutely beautiful when it's stormy.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inspiring post harleydude - thanks for offering it.

"Dayum", no mountains here in FL. A solo overnighter to Okeechobee or Everglades might offer source material though. Mmmmm.....

Old 10-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Pamela Anderson but then again i hear shes more into group rides LOL
sounds like you had a great trip
have a nice day

Peace
Ride Safe

Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master

rode out to Wash state from florida last year just to visit a friend and have a few beers.
Bonneville salt flats for speed week, Crater lake OR, Redwood trees, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas , Reno, Hwy 50 Nevada, a steak @ the Big Teaxn Amarillo, Big Foot territory in NCal, ran out of gas in BF Wyoming, sunrises and sunsets across the country.
Just another vacation in paradise

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM
OutRider
Intermediate

I have taken a solo ride from TN to West TX for the last 4 years. This year I went thru Colorado, Utah, 4Corners, New Mexico.... rode 2,500 miles before I ever got to TX.
The route is always 95% backroads. Lots more enjoyable to me than riding interstate. Interstate rides are great if you have to get from point A to point B in a hurry. I rode interstate home from the 105th in Milwaukee. That was the last 7 days of my 16 day trip.

Once I get to West TX, I meet up with my old high school buddy. We have been riding together for almost 40 years. The solo ride starts up again when I head back to TN.

I am making plans for the 2009 trip already. This was the first time I took 2 weeks (16 days counting weekends). It was also my first time to the states mentioned above - I have to go back......... 'll take 2 weeks again - but leave out the ride to Milwaukee.

RJ

Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=harleydude68;4031078]I wrote this not too long ago and I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone to share their favorite (or most recent anyway) solo ride and their experience. Winter will be setting in here in the Northeast and the memories help pass the time. I know some have read mine already but to use it again for an example here it is again for your reading pleasure.

Please share yours if'n you like.

This was my first truly "lone wolf" ride. The kind of ride where it's just you the bike and the open road.
As I set off this weekend with no particular destination in mind - just a direction - North! I packed an overnight bag, strapped it to my bike, topped off the tank and off I went.

As I got out of the really familiar territory and as I got further and further away from home the scenery was positively breathtaking. This time of year in New England is like nothing else. The trees are turning colors, the smell of autumn is in the air. The air is cool and fresh. Soon all of us here in the north east will be putting our bikes away for the long winter which really sucks, but as I was riding I realized that I wouldn't trade this for anything. Those of us who can ride all year I say good for you but you don't have the best scenery in the entire country so (J/K)

The best part of a solo ride is stopping whenever and wherever you want. One of the best ones was in a town called Bradford NH where I found an old country store. The kind of store with wooden floors and a front porch with outdoor furniture on it. I went in grabbed a candy bar and an old fashioned rootbeer and went out to the porch and enjoyed. I fealt kind of like Little Opie. Small common, congregation church, lake in the distance. AHHHHH the way life should be. (end quote)

Excellent story.

I did basicly the same thing except I left Manlius(Syracuse)NY and headed north in my own state. We have a lot of twists and small towns also and a lot of very nce people, with all kinds of questions about the Xbones. Ain't never seen anything like that, one old guy said, not in 50 years.

Went over to Mexico, Camden, Harrisville, Black Lake(a oldhang out when I was a kid on vaction),Govenor. Had lunch at the Casablanca and rode Rte 58 (that road will break a snakes back) over to A-bay for a late desert. Then home on Rte 81 for 1 hour.

All in all I did 330 miles in one day because that's I had available, next year I'll go for two or three days.

Quick Reply: what is Your favorite solo ride?