General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost his sneaker!! Dragon pics....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for the guy on the bike and I hope he's OK. I will have to agree with some of the comments here that perhaps more often than we like to think it's ultimately the bikers fault.

I was up on the skyline drive a couple weeks ago. As you all know the speed limit is 35 MPH. I'm cruising along at 37-38 MPH ( by my ZUMO ) and here comes a line of 5-6 sportsbikes going way over 40+ and pass me into a blind turn one after another. I freak'n couldn't believe it! They literally just missed an oncoming car as I came around the turn.

Stupid is as stupid does. If that's the way they drive one or more of them is going to end up really hurt someday and I feel sorry for the cager that gets involved in it.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
On counter steering - when I ride my FXST I find myself pulling on the opposite bar instead of pushing it. I know that's not the way you're supposed to do it, but with my high and wide bars it works the best for me.
I know the MSF teaches, "look right, push right, go right." That is correct and it works. Honestly, when I'm riding, I don't pay that much attention to what I'm actually doing with the bars as a general rule. When I "do" pay attention to it, I've found that I do what you just said, I'm more inclined to pull the left bar than push the right one but the results are the same either way. I don't personally believe that one is what we're "supposed" to do any more than the other. I think the MSF teaches it the way they do for simplicities sake. Teaching "look right, pull left, go right" would be confusing as all get out to a new rider. Shoot, it was confusing to me just typing it here!

As long as we understand the concept of counter steering and properly apply it, it doesn't matter one bit whether you push the right side or pull the left.

JMO!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

All the talk about countersteering isn't gonna do a bit of good if the rider is riding beyond his abilities! This guy was definitely riding over his abilities, his speed was probaly too fast to begin with which put him over the centerline.....

Old 10-26-2008, 02:20 PM
07FXSTC
Tourer

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
You just don't lose a shoe that fast without having foot or ankle damage. ow.
Go to Photo 6 of 9 and look at the foot without the shoe...looks a little bent to me....

Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rde
I'm sorry for the guy on the bike and I hope he's OK. I will have to agree with some of the comments here that perhaps more often than we like to think it's ultimately the bikers fault.

I was up on the skyline drive a couple weeks ago. As you all know the speed limit is 35 MPH. I'm cruising along at 37-38 MPH ( by my ZUMO ) and here comes a line of 5-6 sportsbikes going way over 40+ and pass me into a blind turn one after another. I freak'n couldn't believe it! They literally just missed an oncoming car as I came around the turn.

Stupid is as stupid does. If that's the way they drive one or more of them is going to end up really hurt someday and I feel sorry for the cager that gets involved in it.
I have a buddy who is an LEO and he told me that during the summer months they scrap 1 or 2 out of a ditch every weekend. Some he says are going so fast when they hit, that their head swells to the point that the EMT's can't remove their helmets. Sad part is, others don't learn a damn thing from it.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
owleyes
Cruiser

hate to bash a bike rider, but he is well over the yellow lines when he makes contact with that vehicle. I do not pity the people who do not heed the warnings of others.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta' agree: The Blazer isn't doing a thing wrong.

The 2-wheeled MPM ratio (Moron's Per Mile) must be off the chart for that stretch of road.

However, since we're on the subject of twisty roads, I have something to mention that I feel has become a definite safety issue: US semi-trucks have become too long for many of our roads. 50'+ trailers behind long wheelbase tractors... on twisty two lanes? I don't think so.

The trucking industry has been given way too much latitude and gotten way out of hand on the lengths and weights issue. No easy answer, but one could be that US/State roads could be classed by severity and truck lengths limited thereon. Let the 50 footers run on Interstates and open roads with few restrictive curves.

As just ONE example of what I'm trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQP4...eature=related

The above video is downright scary if you stop to think about it. What makes it worse is this is only ONE instance of a severe safety issue that takes place over and over again, not just there, but on many US roads.

Andre Ming
Eastern OK

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Javawave
Tourer

ouch. and people wonder why so many LEO's on the dragon anymore.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad the guy wasn't hurt any worse than he appeared to be...but bottom line, if you're that far over the double yellow for ANY reason, you f'ked up...lucky he wasn't killed...if he didn't learn a lesson, next time he might be...