General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former BMW Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Former BMW Riders

This is why!!![8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5909/B5E315985E54432B83ABB3FE264ADDC5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2006, 12:46 PM
timbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll never dump my Ultra, but I do see a 07' K1200GT in my future as a nice addition. Yeah, the BMW's won't win a beauty contest, but the K1200GT blows my Ultra away in just about every other aspect. But, would I ever trade the Ultra or sell it to aquire the Beemer? No way. It's just a Harley thing man. Besides, what would I do with all my Harley t-shirts and clothing?

Old 04-04-2006, 01:58 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the BMW cruiser wasn't aesthetically in the same league as H-D, but some BMW models are very attractive, including the K1200s and R1100S. And the GS is just how a purposeful dual sport should look.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 PM
slug
Stage III

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen--all are good food for thought. Maybe having two bikes is the answer.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 AM
scratch
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the BMW riding community because to
a rider they like to ride and pile up miles.
Unlike certain other riding communities I could think of BMW riders don't seem to bother with "lifestyle" conformity either. That does get old amongst HD riders, after the first 200 times your hear about someone's new chrome footpegs...Seriously, I'd love to have an old R80 or something like it, for their total lack of poseur bullsh!t baggage. Or maybe an R1150RT for piling on the miles (though I still manage to do that on my Sporty).

Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Had a toaster tank and a GS. Loved them both. Did not love some of my fellow lovers of the brand. Good bikes, but never got under my skin the way the HD stuff does. I think you need to understand that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a few bikes. I have an SG and a cafe bike... XS 650... Totally different animals. I don't see the SG going anywhere unless I trade in on a newer HD down the road... But the XS? It could go this weekend. I still have fun on it, but I am not attached to it. Beemers are a lot of fun, and they are great sporting touring rigs. The new 1200 is sicko fast, and set up to handle it. But my almost 40 year old butt just was not happy on it.. and it is weird looking.. Helluva bike, but humongous dork factor..

Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
gottaguy
Cruiser

i'm on my 3rd beemer 2 k's and now the rt.
the dyna is my 5th hd since 75 the other being a 48 indian.
i sold off the dresser as it's no use having (to me) 2 touring mc's s i offed the flht and picked up the vagina (oops) dyna-glide! both have their pro's and con's. distance wise i'd jump on the rt in a heartbeat. not that i'd leave the dyna just 2 different kinds of riding. i'm into skinner faster mc's now. anything under 100 has always been booring. getting there that much quicker is better!!
hell i'd even consider a hondapottamus if the price was right.
it's not about what you ride
it's about riding!!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

I just sold an '05 BMW R1150RT about a month ago after owning it for 15 months. I purchased it because I loved the quickness and performance but could never get use to the riding position. I've owned nothing but cruisers for many years so the R1150RT was a drastic change in riding style. All my friends were in shock when I sold my Kawasaki Nomad and bought the BMW. I spent 15 months and only 5000 miles trying to convince myself that I liked the bike but it never worked. Anyway, the bike sold fast and now I'm waiting on the arrival of a new '06 Ultra Classic - my first Harley Davidson!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:28 AM
redripper
6th Gear

I owned a K75S, which caused a lot of back pain, due to the riding position and a R1150RT. I spent much $ trying to cure the low speed surge and could never get rid of it. Driving in D.C. traffic the surge became too much of an agravation. Besides, I am inseam challanged and even with the low seat position, I never felt comfortable when stopped on an incline. All the problems were solved with my Fatboy.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 AM
JBGHEAT
Novice

Just sold my GS. Delivered it today and the check is in the bank. Actually hated to see it go. One helluva great all around bike for the Colorado mountains. I'll repeat that my primary reason for selling it was the limited dealer network. When you're doing alot of touring that is a serious factor.

Quick Reply: Former BMW Riders