General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acid Etching before coating garage with Epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acid Etching before coating garage with Epoxy?

I am planning to put the Epoxy coating on my (new to me) 50 year old garage floor. The floor is in good shape with minimal staining. I am just wondering how essential it is that I acid etch it first. I was reading the directions for the Rust-oleum stuff and it just says to clean/degrease it. I'd just rather not deal with the acid if I don't have to. Also, that would mean I have to go out and buy a wet/dry vac and funds are tight right now. Think I'll be okay without it?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure it's good and clean and you'll be fine. Brake Cleaner Spray is great for those spots that you might be worried about. Go for it, and then send us the pix. You'll love having that job done. It'll pay off throughout the years.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
kemiha
Advanced

I used muratic acid to etch my garage floor prior to using Rustoleum garage floor epoxy. I picked up a few gallons at the local Rural King store. The cost was minor compared to the cost of the Rustoleum. I used a 50/50 mix muratic acid/water in a plastic watering can, sprinkling it on a wet floor. Make sure you have good ventilation. Used a good stiff push broom to work it around. Let sit for a few minutes and hose in down good. Let it dry completely for a day or two. The floor finish should feel like fine sandpaper when done.

The Rustoleum really bonded well with the concrete. In fact, it seemed to be absorbed into the concrete too well. I had to give it a second coat the next day to get the finish I was looking for.

Thats been over four years ago and it hasn't peeled up anywhere, compared to some of the garage paint jobs I've seen. If you're going to do it right, I wouldn't hesitate to etch it.
--
Kevin

Last edited by kemiha; 10-22-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
flakdog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kemiha
I used muratic acid to etch my garage floor prior to using Rustoleum garage floor epoxy. I picked up a few gallons at the local Rural King store. The cost was minor compared to the cost of the Rustoleum. I used a 50/50 mix muratic acid/water in a plastic watering can, sprinkling it on a wet floor. Make sure you have good ventilation. Used a good stiff push broom to work it around. Let sit for a few minutes and hose in down good. Let it dry completely for a day or two. The floor finish should feel like fine sandpaper when done.

The Rustoleum really bonded well with the concrete. In fact, it seemed to be absorbed into the concrete too well. I had to give it a second coat the next day to get the finish I was looking for.

Thats been over four years ago and it hasn't peeled up anywhere, compared to some of the garage paint jobs I've seen. If you're going to do it right, I wouldn't hestate to etch it.
--
Kevin
+ 1

Did the same with mine. I believe you are better off if you don't skip the acid step.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats been over four years ago and it hasn't peeled up anywhere, compared to some of the garage paint jobs I've seen. If you're going to do it right, I wouldn't hesitate to etch it.
--
Kevin
Next spring when the weather warms up a notch and dries out......

Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--
Kevin
Next spring when the weather warms a notch and dries out a bit

Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default a tip

Not what you were asking, but many fine HDF members here helped me out with my problems and there are very good advice on all kinds of subjects our members wished to contribute in concrete. I do not wish to keep all of this work secret but you may pick and choose what you like. Here is the POST Thank You all for such a great response, why we are GREAT as a unit!!! Again, Thanks HDF Hope this may help you someway

Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I'd recommend muratic acid to etch a garage floor. It's not expensive and will help ensure a good bond between the floor and paint.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
P47
Tourer

My Dad helped me do my garage floor in 1981. He acid washed it first. Still looks good today. I would recommend the acid wash. Also, be ready for at least two coats of epoxy paint.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 PM
spike95
Road Master

The reason I want to skip the acid is because of the disposal problems. I don't own a wet vac, nor can I afford to buy one right now. I know it's not a good idea to rinse that stuff down my driveway. If I don't do the coating now with the garage partially empty, then it will never happen. I have to move in in a few days and it won't be empty ever again. The product never said to do the etching in the instructions, so I think I'm just gonna clean it really well and hope for the best. The floor is in very good condition, so I think it'll be okay. I'm only doing half the garage for now because I have a bunch of stuff in the other half. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Quick Reply: Acid Etching before coating garage with Epoxy?