General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer - (v-nose versus flat)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
jrken1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might want to go consider an open utility trailer

I bought an enclosed 6X10 V nose trailer with a motorcycle package eailer this year for trips to the shore. It was just what I wanted, checkerboard floor,diamond deck rear ramp, chrome 15" weels, black with large Harley decals on rear and sides. A sweet looking trailer that pulled horribly. Averaged 13 mpg. on the highway and less on local runs. What I disliked most was the fact I couldn't see behind me or the bike itself and what might be happening with it inside. I also hated the fact that the 6' inside width made the total outside width much wider than my Ford Escape keeping me constantly glancing in my side mirrors so as not to ram the whole dang thing into curbs, parked cars or even oncoming traffic. After 4 trips to various destinations I had,had enough and sold it. Cost me $3100 new and I was very lucky to sell it for $3000. Went right out and bought a 5X10 utility
trailer with high sides and locking front cargo box and I absolutely love it. Put a locking wheel chock and 4 tiedowns D rings in it and it only cost me $1100. I just like the fact that I can see the bike and whats behind me. Its the same width as my Escape so what I clear with the car I'll clear with the trailer. If you give it some thought you'll find you can use a utility trailer for many more purposes other than hauling the bike around and are somewhat limited to what you can put in an enclosed trailer. "Example" this Saturday I'll be hauling a load of tree limbs to the local recycling center, something that would have been a challenge with the enclosed. Yes,what your pulling will be open to the weather and can be secured a bit easier but from my experience I would recomend the utility style and save lots of bucks.

[IMG]

Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

It's no wonder ya hated the thing....you were pulling it with a go-kart......if you towed that trailer with a real tow vehicle you would probably forget the trailer was even on there and run over something with it...........had my 8x18 full of bikes and gear up to 80-85 on the wide open Interstate a couple of times trying to catch up with the bunch ahead of us....still got 14-15 mpg....don't try that at home kids.......

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good points made about room. Putting the bike in the vee would have the trailer tongue too heavy. I have a 6 x 12 flat nose that is only 6 feet tall. Single axle. It pulls like a dream. Very little wind resistance behind my truck. Movable wheel chocks for hauling one bike centered almost over the axle or two bikes staggered to balance the weight to keep my tongue weight acceptable. You need to look at axle placement and where your load will be. I use the tongue area in front of the trailer for a tool box with an ice chest on top. If I had it to do again I would have got the 7 x 12 flat nose 6 foot tall if available. As a qualifier I have five more trailers in the yard. Everything from a RV to boat trailers. We use the motorcycle trailer to camp in when it is just us two. I installed insulation and roof a/c. We can haul the bikes, beds, tables and awnings with no problem and it is not a gas hog.
Originally Posted by fishheadsaid
By way of explanation. I was the Wells Cargo dealer in North Florida for a number of years. I no longer sell or represent Wells Cargo. Nor do I represent the NoseCone company. That said, there is a reason why so many semi trailers have NoseCone brand nosecones. They work.

I have towed alot of trailers, all shapes and sizes. If you don't plan on towing your trailer much or at highway speeds for long distances, then a nose cone is something you don't need. I own a 8' x 20' cargo trailer that does not have a nose cone because I don't find it necessary for it's application. However, my 7' x 14' motorcycle trailer has a nosecone.

If you need more room, buy a longer trailer (think about it, do you have any v-shaped rooms in your house).
If aerodynamics is important buy a trailer with a proven effective nosecone.
If you have a snowmobile, buy a v-front trailer.