General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long have you had your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long have you had your Harley?

I read a lot of threads with people asking if they should take a hit to trade a bike that is a year or so old and I am wondering just how many 'keepers' there are out there? This is my first HD and I intend to keep it a long time but I could be 'all talk', who has walked the walk and kept their bike for a considerable time?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 AM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Monochrome
I read a lot of threads with people asking if they should take a hit to trade a bike that is a year or so old and I am wondering just how many 'keepers' there are out there? This is my first HD and I intend to keep it a long time but I could be 'all talk', who has walked the walk and kept their bike for a considerable time?
Well bein a Non-Rub, broke workin stiff.. Mrs Pt and I both ride 99's which are from what I see by pretty much everyones sigs, Pretty old. And there gonna get older and even more miles and rebuilds when needed, Unless I win the lottery which is doubtfull bein I don't buy tickets.. I'm up in my 50's with another housefull of youngins ta raise..I have had more Harleys in my 35+ years in the saddle then I can remember..This one I'm sure is my last.. My custom will be with me till the Lord tells me I'm finished here..
Blessings
PT

Last edited by PastorTom; 10-20-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, I've wanted a Fatboy almost since they first came out. Now I finally have one - bought it exactly one month ago - I like it, and I'm not about to trade it in for anything else anytime soon, unless HD comes out with something that I think is sharper. For now, though, I think my Fatboy is the most beautiful bike in the world and the best bike HD presently churns out. My opinion only, of course.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Monochrome
I generally keep my bikes and cars (and pretty much anything else that loses it's value minutes after taking possession of it) until they're used up, unless of course there's a serious problem. That's the only way you can get your money's worth out if them. I'm not into taking financial hits if I can avoid it. I do admit that my philosophy has evolved over time...I wasn't always this way. I'll also say that I won't criticize anyone who does flip a bike quickly, 'cause if your just not happy with what you got and you can afford to change it, go for it...life is short.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

All my previous bikes I took a hit by tradin' up after only a year or so. But I finally traded up to a Heritage Softail Classic about a month ago. I shouldn't be takin' anymore hits anytime soon. The Heritage has always been my dream bike, so I think I'll be good for a little while this time.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I've had the ironhead for about 27 years. When I was a kid I always heard people saying "I wish I would have never sold that Harley, Indian, corvette, thunderbird, etc.". It left an impression on me. So I'm keeping it. Somebody is going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands one of these days. ha ha. I bought an Evo Road king last year and will probably keep it forever as well.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the Fatboy slightly over a year now, and don't plan on getting rid of it. My last bike, a 1985 Shadow 1100, was mine for 22 years. I've only had five bikes so far and don't see getting another. Too expensive for me.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned a long time ago trading cars and trucks that you lose too much money by trading every year or two, it cost much less to get what you want right away, so that is exactly what I did. I figured if I was going in debt, I might as well be happy about it.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

2002 FXD, bought it new so 6 years!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

1 month, traded my 07 RKC for the 09 UC, pretty sure this is a keeper and should have gotten the UC in the first place.Might add to the stable, thinking a Vstrom 1000 with ABS when they come out or the Uly from Buell and maybe a Street Bob, but that should be it, kind of liuke collecting guns, have many 12 gauge sg's, many 45's, many rifles, just keeping getting bigger gun cases, should have kept the 07 RKC but wifey told me to trade it in. Curently have a KLR and nightster in the garage to keep the UC company. Need a bigger garage.

Quick Reply: How long have you had your Harley?