General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long have you had your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I've had my 1985 FXWG since brand new, almost 24 years.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Still have my knuckle 1946 Got it in a basket in 1971 paid $300 !!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Harley43147
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 08 Bob for three months now. Way too soon to be thinking about trading up. Besides, the wife would literally kill me lol
I'll have the Bob for years to come - unless of course, I win the lottery.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

'00 Yamaha - 7 yrs, 30k, sold it- Bought an '03 EG Classic with 15k on it 1 year ago this month. To us, (life has presented many challenges) its almost beyond belief that we could get one. I hope those of you doing well and riding your dream bikes count your blessings.
It now has 22k on it. Since its a pretty cool 100th ann. silver & black can't see doing anything diff. for the foreseeable future.
ps. Wife has 125k on paid for '98 Chevy truck. And she has no plans to change either.
Like others on here - once they are paid for hard to justify payments.

Pat

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my 2005 SE Fat Boy for a little over 2 years.
I have no intention on getting rid of it. This is my 7th bike and first Harley. I started off looking at Ultra Glides, since my last 2 bikes were touring bikes. Then decided the Fat Boy would be more enjoyable to ride, since I don't do any real long distance touring. What I missed right away, were the saddlebags, so I could carry stuff with me and stop and pick stuff up at stores. I added the bags and as far as I am concerned the bike is now perfect, for my usage.
Tom

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

It took me a long time of getting life in order and being able to afford what I wanted. It took several bikes, two sportsters, and many years with this bike as my goal. I was finally able to do it right. I lost my hugger in the 90s because I was a financial dumbass and didn't want that to happen again.

To me there is no upgrade from here, just an addition of a nightster and a case of flat black paint.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya Monochrome, my first and no doubt my last HD. Just could never afford a HD before, had lots of metrics. Kinda glad I had to wait though, it was worth it!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 wideglide and an 03 heritage classic. Will be adding something else in about a year--most likely a used springer or a new road king. I will be keeping the other two. If I get rid of something you usually don't want it---its done.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Back in high school, a friend of mine had an old Indian Chief, not sure how old, but it had a jockey shift.
I see him every now and then, and often the conversation turns to "the Indian" - and regret about selling it.

Here's Mona, my bug encrusted '91 Sturgis in southern Colorado on the way back from Sturgis this year.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Well it is good to know some of us are hanging in there and enjoying our bikes. I have been guilty of trading every 2 years (although I traded a 1 year old Speedmaster for my Tiger). Having the luxury of 2 bikes has not slowed me down, but I decided when I got the Fat Bob it was a keeper, sure I'd like to have a RKC or SG but if I sit down and I am objective I know I got the Bob because it best suited the riding we do, plus I have another bike for fast long distance. The great thing about a Harley is they age so well, seen a couple 10 years old, well looked after, and really cool looking machines.

I suppose with bikes the one issue I have found with keeping one is putting on the miles. I was selling my Speedmaster and a girl phoned up and said it has 'done a lot of miles so it must have been out in all weathers' It had done 5000 in a year! Now to me that is not a lot but compared to far too many bikes it was a 'lot' relatively speaking'. I was bemoaning this to my Triumph dealer and he said the same thing if yours has done 12000 in a year people think it is heavy milage because other bikes have done must less, even if 12000 is nothing to a modern machine. The other interesting point my dealer made was that changing a bike is still a lot cheaper, on average, than changing a car so people are more able to talk themselves into doing it. Plus usually the dealer of the brand you ride will give you more in trade to keep your business to help ease the pain.

I really don't want to start watching miles and worrying about trade in prices so the Harley is a keeper and the Tiger will stay unless Triumph bring out a 1200 version or tourer, which will be a couple of years down the line. If milage brings down the trade of my Tiger so be it at least I will have had my fun, which is the whole point of having one, right?

PT, I guess there are bikes in heaven and you will get your pick my friend, me I will probably be pointed at the 125 honda with no front brake

Quick Reply: How long have you had your Harley?