General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Double Ds
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trading in my sportster

Yes, after one season, I have out grown my sportster. I love it very much but find that my weekends have been filled with day long rides and the sportster just isn't comfortable enough. Soooo, I am thinking of trading her in for a road king custom and wanted to know how many of you own one and what you might have to say about them. I would also like to see your pics with ideas on differnt handlebars. Thank you Deb D.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Traitor!!! lol just kidding good luck on your new ride!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride an EG, but everyone on here that has a RK loves them. Great looking rides. I think you'd love the move.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

You will love the road king,....or maybe an ultra.....

Old 10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the reduced reach bars put on my 03 RK and it really improved my riding position vs the stock bars.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

The RK Custom is my favorite Harley. I love mine! I just can't stand the stock seat and bars on any RK. I replaced my bars with 12.5" apes and the seat with a Sundowner. Now the bike fits me like a glove.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride one first, IMHO. I bought a 2001 RK and while it was more comfortable than my Sporty it was a real slug and sold it. Compared to the Sportster the RoadKing couldn't get out of it's own way.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jumped off my Sporty for a RK. Best move I ever made. SOOooooo much more comfortable. You'll be happy with the trade. The Sporty was quicker, but I rather have comfort than the speed to out run a train at a crossing. Keeps me responsible.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Had a Sportster, then a Heritage, then a Roadking, then an Ultra, and now back to the Sportster. Why you might ask? Basically because I became a slave to the bigger bikes.. they owned me, I didn't own them. I returned back to a Sportster because I wanted what I consider "carefree" riding enjoyment, easy to keep-up and keep clean (or not).

All were nice rides for the distance but for round town jaunts, the larger bikes were like buffelo's and I prefer a horse.

Besides all that, I kinda fell out of the routine riding habit but needed something just to wet my whistle from time to time and the Sportster fills the need.

Roadking is a nice ride but the Heritage was nicer in my opnion

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug45601
Had a Sportster, then a Heritage, then a Roadking, then an Ultra, and now back to the Sportster. Why you might ask? Basically because I became a slave to the bigger bikes.. they owned me, I didn't own them. I returned back to a Sportster because I wanted what I consider "carefree" riding enjoyment, easy to keep-up and keep clean (or not).

All were nice rides for the distance but for round town jaunts, the larger bikes were like buffelo's and I prefer a horse.

Besides all that, I kinda fell out of the routine riding habit but needed something just to wet my whistle from time to time and the Sportster fills the need.

Roadking is a nice ride but the Heritage was nicer in my opnion
Very well put. My first HD was an 88 Sportster I bought new at the end of 87. I've had six HD's since then (all "bigger, real Harleys") and sold them all. The shortest was the RK...hated that bike. Still have the Sporster.

Quick Reply: Trading in my sportster