General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd be sure I'd ridden both the RK and the Heritage Classic. Same basic function but totally different bikes. Different front end geometry, Heritage has the balanced engine, Heritage is a softail.

I'm not saying one is better, but they sure are different including the riding position and feel.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the Sporty contingent is alive and well...good for you!

Anyway, the RK (choose your particular one) is an outstanding choice. If you don't envision packing a lot of stuff and your rides are really just day hops, then maybe a Dyna or Softy would fit the bill nicely too. An above poster suggested the Heritage, and I love that bike too. If it's just you on the bike, then it'd be a great choice. But if you're looking at being 2 up and bagged out going cross country, then that isn't the Heritage's strong suit.

My preference is the touring frames, and I love my RK Classic. The room, carrying capacity and the comfort of the suspension soaking up all the bumps and seams in the road is where the touring bike shine. So if long distance is in your future, noting beats a touring bike and a RK is an outstanding choice.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 AM
ohioroadking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a Sportster to a Road King and never looked back! I wouldn't mind having a Sportster again for just around town though.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Keep the Sporty and get the RKC ( or Ultra). Put the Heritage bars on the RKC you can thank me later, best mod for only $50 if you do it yourself.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my Road King Custom, I looked for almost a year before i found one that i liked. I put Screaming Eagle Road King bars on mine and the riding position is a lot better now.

Attached Thumbnails Trading in my sportster-picture-001.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went the Sportster to Dyna route and loved the Dyna. Switched to a RK when I needed more carrying capacity - both duo and luggage. Great bike but now that I don't ride with a duo passenger much anymore got tired of muscling the RK around - found excuses for not getting on the thing if I was just going into town.
I've just traded in on a Fat Bob and don't have it yet but really enjoyed an entire mornings test ride so I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it as an alternative.
My GF had a Sportster for about 6 months, liked it a lot but changed to a Dyna and is really enjoying it.
Take a few test rides; if you have to, rent one. Good luck

Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Good choice with the RK. Or you could be really bold and get an SG.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an RK, but another comment to add, for consideration. I just (a week ago) traded in my Nightster after a year, for a new Street Bob. I absolutely LOVE this bike and am glad I made the switch. I actually am more confident on this bigger bike than I was on the Sporty. I figure I can do whatever I want with it, and even add bags and a windshield for longer trips. The big thing for me was I love the styling, but also it FITS me. I am only a bit under 5' 4", and a lot of the bigger bikes I have a problem with the height and width (unless I want to sink a lot of money into lowering them, getting a new seat, etc.).

Definitely try different bikes if you are able! Then make your decision.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,381 Likes on 8,420 Posts

NNnnnOOOoo
Keep the sporty!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from a Sportster to a Road King and so far it has worked for me.

Quick Reply: Trading in my sportster