General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric gloves? Battery or hardwire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts
Default Electric gloves? Battery or hardwire?

Not often I have anything to say here that isn't BS. But this a legitimate question.
I will be at home for about a month and a half starting in mid November sometime and like I do every year when I get home I will be riding as much as I can.

Where I live the temps that time of year get into the teens and 20's and my old fingers just don't handle that as good as they once did.

I am kicking around the idea of some electric gloves. I've never used anything electric as far as riding gear before.

I would prefer battery operated and want to know if any of you use them and if so how long do the batteries usually last before you have to change them out and do they provide enough heat to fend off the cold temps?

Please don't suggest heated grips as I'm not going there and really would prefer not to wire anything into the bike it's self. Don't know why, I don't have a problem hanging stuff off my bikes don't like adding stuff to the electrical systems.

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Lowrider55
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're correct about heated grips

I have heated grips on my bike - no problems with the electrical system, they don't even tweak the volt meter when they're on. They are very nice in temps down to the mid-40's or a bit warmer when you prefer not to pull out the heavy gloves. That said, they wouldn't be much use in the temps you mentioned in your post. In colder weather, you feel some warmth in the palms but your fingers will still freeze - even with the best gloves available. I went this route because I didn't want to mess with being wired to the bike and was skeptical about battery-operated gloves. Hopefully, someone will weigh in on the issue with some good feedback. I just wanted to confirm that heated grips wouldn't work for your purpose anyway.

Kevin

Attached Thumbnails Electric gloves? Battery or hardwire?-lowrider_06.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lowrider55
I have heated grips on my bike - no problems with the electrical system, they don't even tweak the volt meter when they're on. They are very nice in temps down to the mid-40's or a bit warmer when you prefer not to pull out the heavy gloves. That said, they wouldn't be much use in the temps you mentioned in your post. In colder weather, you feel some warmth in the palms but your fingers will still freeze - even with the best gloves available. I went this route because I didn't want to mess with being wired to the bike and was skeptical about battery-operated gloves. Hopefully, someone will weigh in on the issue with some good feedback. I just wanted to confirm that heated grips wouldn't work for your purpose anyway.

Kevin
Thanks for the info. I was assuming that the heated grips would only work for palms and not in below freezing temps. Back in the 80's I used something called "hippo hands" that went completely over the grip area of the bars. They were kind of awkward but worked great for keeping hands warm and dry. Might see if they are still around and give them a try again.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:53 PM
GlennA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can still get Hippo Hands. Last time I checked, they were over $100. Check out Tractor Supply if you are near one, they sell a hippo hand styled unit for about $35. Also, checkout Sportman's Warehouse. I have a pair made by Kolpin. I had do do some modification, but can ride all day in 30 degree temps and my hands stay toasty.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GlennA
You can still get Hippo Hands. Last time I checked, they were over $100. Check out Tractor Supply if you are near one, they sell a hippo hand styled unit for about $35. Also, checkout Sportman's Warehouse. I have a pair made by Kolpin. I had do do some modification, but can ride all day in 30 degree temps and my hands stay toasty.
OUTFU**INSTANDING!!!!! Thanks I'll start looking for a Tractor Supply I am all over the country so shouldn't be to hard to find one.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-19-2008, 03:31 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pottsy
Thanks. Found that site after I started thinking about my old Hippo's. Kind of confused about the turn signal thing though. Mine are off center with the mirror stems but to the outside. They say to the inside. Guess I need to contact them and get clarification.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:47 PM
pottsy
Road Master

Originally Posted by IronAss
Thanks. Found that site after I started thinking about my old Hippo's. Kind of confused about the turn signal thing though. Mine are off center with the mirror stems but to the outside. They say to the inside. Guess I need to contact them and get clarification.
Haha. Yeah, reading some of the "details" I was pretty confused.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to your question, I'm still researching whether to get the battery operated or plug in gloves. Right now I'm leaning towards the battery operated gloves and a battery operated vest. Unless I find some negative info on the forums, that's the way I'm going.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
conroskie
Road Master

If it were me I would prefer the plug in style, then you wouldn't need to make sure that you had charged batteries. I don't have either one. I have the heat demon handle bar warmers. And they have their limitations, but they are very warm. If you have the plug in style, you can keep adding more clothing to it. Such as plugging your vest into your gloves. Or visa versa... just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Electric gloves? Battery or hardwire?