General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers...lookin to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
don't forget to come back here and tell us of the GREAT deal you got!!!
He's probably been too busy riding and putting on some extra chrome this weekend, I'm sure we'll get some pics tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 517 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat465
Just walk away from the deal. Unless I'mmissing something, if enough people refuse to pay more that MSRP, then dealer will adjust their prices.
Of course you are exactly right!
The problem is, not enough people willing to do that.

Around here, MSRP is what new ones are selling for. And the way they are selling, it's my guess that enough people want a Harley.

I bought mine at MSRP, but I wouldn't have paid more than that.
Let me re-phrase that, I would have traveled quite a bit farther to find one at MSRP.
I guess if you were willing to wait, and travel far enough you might find one below that.
But then you have the expense of getting it home. Even if you went there and rode it home, it would cost you.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Of course you are exactly right!
The problem is, not enough people willing to do that.

Around here, MSRP is what new ones are selling for. And the way they are selling, it's my guess that enough people want a Harley.

I bought mine at MSRP, but I wouldn't have paid more than that.
Let me re-phrase that, I would have traveled quite a bit farther to find one at MSRP.
I guess if you were willing to wait, and travel far enough you might find one below that.
But then you have the expense of getting it home. Even if you went there and rode it home, it would cost you.

It's the same around here too. Used HD's from individuals aren't any better of a deal. I paid MSRP for my SB, but would have continued to ride my Yamaha if it were more than MSRP.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
un3asyrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to hijack the thread, but im looking for an '09 ferrari enzo for $20,000. i have cash.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 AM
SlimShady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heh, lot of funny info in this thread.

I bought an '08 Super Glide Custom from a friend of mine while I was here in Iraq...had a power of attorney holder pay him etc.... Got home and rode it, thought it was a great bike for the 4 days I rode it. Stopped at my local dealership to get the required yearly inspection on it. Service Dept. says "it'll be about 45 minutes, feel free to look around" and 3 hours later I rode my used '07 Fatboy home, 1,947 miles on it.

Dealer was asking $16,200 for it, came down to $16,000 and gave me about $1k less than I'd paid 4 days ago for the Dyna. Did I get hosed? Possibly, but the Fatty had the pipes on it that I was about to drop $550 on in 3 days, and it has probably $3000 in chrome and other stuff on it. Now granted, I probably wouldn't have put the chrome on it but it's there, it looks good and I didn't technically buy it so it's all good. Anyway......when they asked me how I was going to finance the balance on the bike and I said that I wasn't nothing changed. Guess my point is that most dealers don't care if you pay cash or finance, sure they make a couple of bucks kickback from the banks I'm sure, but their bottom line comes from moving product and it sells well enough that they don't really need to give you anything for bringing a bag of money in with you.

Good luck in your search.....

Old 10-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

I may catch flack for this but here is my advice!

First, I never by new. The reason is typically once you drive that new vehicle out the door, you just lost 10 to 20% of the money you just paid. Would you do that with anything else? It's a no brainer in my book.

Second, cash talks especially on a used vehicle. No one really wants to finance one (but they will at a higher interest rate, once again this isn't always the rule).

Look for a bike a year or two old with LOW miles. Figure 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Look hard, you will find them. This is the time of year to buy used. New models coming in, last years model still on the floor and trade in's all over the place. Now you can bargain. You have cash, you want it now and I will bet you can get the price down. The money you save will get you all those little bells and whistles you wanted in first place.

Sometimes there may still be a warranty or extended warranty remaining on the bike. I bought my 01 Roadglide in 02. Was so clean it was on the new bike showroom floor. Wasn't expecting to buy that day. Walked in, saw it, wanted it and rode it home the next day! I offered and thousand bucks under the asking price and they accepted. Bought it for half of what new went for, with every accessory you can imagine including a 95ci engine and tour pac. The extended warranty came in handy later on when with one month remaining on it, the crank bearing took a crap. New engine..$50.00. Was a win win all the way around.

What you do is your business. I enjoy (and am good at) negotiating a deal and am just offering you an opinion. Remember, that salesman is not your friend (as much as he seem to be). He only wants your money (make him work for it) and won't know you from a load of coal 6 months from now!

Good luck
RJ1

Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

good luck with that. you may havta do some looking and go to a few dealer's but what ever you do dont hold your breath.you would think it would be a piece of cake but alot of dealer's are a-whole's. but then again you may get what you are lokking for at the first dealer.depends on how they are doing.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by botz723
They sell em to overseas buyers, even with an import tax of 50%-150% its still cheaper than buying it in their own country because of the $ conversion, FWIW, my trade in is now enroute to Poland!
Only way it's a good deal anymore buying from the US is if it's used and warranty is no longer an issue - otherwise forget it.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Yea but..

Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1
First, I never by new. The reason is typically once you drive that new vehicle out the door, you just lost 10 to 20% of the money you just paid. Would you do that with anything else? It's a no brainer in my book.

Second, cash talks especially on a used vehicle. No one really wants to finance one (but they will at a higher interest rate, once again this isn't always the rule).

Look for a bike a year or two old with LOW miles. Figure 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Look hard, you will find them. This is the time of year to buy used. New models coming in, last years model still on the floor and trade in's all over the place. Now you can bargain. You have cash, you want it now and I will bet you can get the price down. The money you save will get you all those little bells and whistles you wanted in first place.

What you do is your business. I enjoy (and am good at) negotiating a deal and am just offering you an opinion.
Good luck
RJ1
Good advice, but most of the bikes I see used, especially on ebay, are overpriced. My local dealer had a brand new 2008 EG Classic that was discounted $18,900 while the new 2009 EG Classics were like 2-3K more. I saw a used one on ebay with a starting price of $18,900 and so why buy used when new is the same price? Plus you have to drive somewhere to get it. Buy new unless you get a really really good deal.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to the dealer to buy a new softtail custom for the Ol a while back and wanted to pay cash for it and the "DEALER" only wanted to discount the price $400.00, as opposed to about a $1200.00 to finance it. to make a long story short, I walked out of the dealership without a new bike (thank god), the OL has giving up on riding her own as of late and is contempt to riding as a passenger.

Quick Reply: Dealers...lookin to buy