General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers...lookin to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always been intreauged by the phrase " I have cash." Let me tell you what my Grandfather told me. Dealers or people selling things in the PAST always look for someone with cash because 1) they didn't have to let them go to the bank to get financed and talk themselves out of it , 2) they were guaranteed. Any purchase you make nowdays is guaranteed before you take delivery. Cash, financing, bonds, cd's, etc. No dealer in his right mind or even old lady at a rummage will let you take product withot guaranteed money. Cash is the same as a bank draft, financing or cash. The dealer is losing if he does a cash deal. So " I have got cash" phrase is great, but what about the guy they got financed to get his bike. I didn't discount him, or the guy who has bought his last 10 bikes form the dealer. Should they give you a better deal than lifelong loyalty. Tip, keep the phrase to yourself and find a dealer that wants to sell you a mototrcycle, then say their will be no lien holder can we come to an agreement? I think it is so arrogant for someone to say "I got cash!" Like someone is supposed to kneal to you. Alot of people have cash, they just don't flaunt it. If it so great that you have cash, why are you posting on a forum to see who will accept? They should be posting you. What about the poeple who pay hard earned money every month for theirs, should they have not paid msrp because they didn't have cash in hand and had to finance? Get off the computer and go negotiate.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you want a metric bike good luck

Old 10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,007 Likes on 13,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutman
I have always been intreauged by the phrase " I have cash." Let me tell you what my Grandfather told me. Dealers or people selling things in the PAST always look for someone with cash because 1) they didn't have to let them go to the bank to get financed and talk themselves out of it , 2) they were guaranteed. Any purchase you make nowdays is guaranteed before you take delivery. Cash, financing, bonds, cd's, etc. No dealer in his right mind or even old lady at a rummage will let you take product withot guaranteed money. Cash is the same as a bank draft, financing or cash. The dealer is losing if he does a cash deal. So " I have got cash" phrase is great, but what about the guy they got financed to get his bike. I didn't discount him, or the guy who has bought his last 10 bikes form the dealer. Should they give you a better deal than lifelong loyalty. Tip, keep the phrase to yourself and find a dealer that wants to sell you a mototrcycle, then say their will be no lien holder can we come to an agreement? I think it is so arrogant for someone to say "I got cash!" Like someone is supposed to kneal to you. Alot of people have cash, they just don't flaunt it. If it so great that you have cash, why are you posting on a forum to see who will accept? They should be posting you. What about the poeple who pay hard earned money every month for theirs, should they have not paid msrp because they didn't have cash in hand and had to finance? Get off the computer and go negotiate.
Right,cash is what you need to buy drugs with or repay a loan to a friend.Theres a lot of counterfeit money out there thanks to our terrorist friends and dealers of big ticket items prefer financing.Perhaps he just meant to say that he can buy the bike with no credit problems.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 PM
HTiger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wbogley
Here is what the Harley CEO said 3 days ago:
"Many U.S. dealers entered the 2009 model year with fewer carryover models. In fact, new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in general are selling at or above MSRP and the used bike prices are stable and continue to rise. In fact some of our dealers feel they are light in inventory, which suggests we may have been somewhat conservative on shipments. It also suggests that the 2009 models have a wide appeal." - James Ziemer, CEO Harley-Davidson
Better roll up our pantslegs...it's gettin' deep in here!

Regardless of Jimmy's corporate-speak marketing spin, the world outside the orange and black Milwaukee Kool-Ade appears to be much different.

I have tracked over 60 HD bikes on eBay over the last two months and only four of those have sold. All four had no reserve and sold well below what others have been asking for their similar bikes.

Tracking HD bikes on Craigslist and I am seeing the same sort of results. You see bikes listed...and then a few days later you see the same bikes for $1,000 less. Then a little less a couple of days later. Then comes the "make me an offer" pleading.

As for new HD's (and I know all markets are local), I have four dealers calling me--I am shopping for a new bike--wanting to do deals. Two are offering discounts off MSRP--one has offered to take $1,000 off and the other $1,500 off.

On top of all this, HD released its 3rd quarter results this past week and the numbers do not supports Jimbo's comments: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=HOG

Click on some of the news stories and enjoy.

The market for buyers is only going to get better, guys. Especially if you're buying new.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Dealers make money on financing so cash is not an advantage for them these days. That said go in the last 3 days of the month when they need to sell a few bikes to reach their quota. Better deals are to be had at that time. I just purchased my 09 & went to 4 dealers. #1 couldn't supply the bike in the color I wanted & generally doesn't discount. #2 would discount but didn't have one either. #3 had 1000.00 off list if I signed by the 30th of Sept. but the next 2 bikes he had coming in were both sold so I would have wated 60-90 days for delivery. Dealer 4 had the bike on the floor & I worked a 1500.00 off MRSP deal with him, no financing. Done deal & the bike is in my garage.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it depends on what market you're in. used HD sales around here are doing great. 3 weeks ago, I was offered $17350 for an '08 Fatboy I paid $18340 a yr ago...... the dealer said they'd mark it up a grand and sell it within the week. doesn't make sense to me. why would someone pay $2000 more for a used '08 instead of an '09???? but, the saleman said they can't get enough used bikes.

I don't think many are giving less than MSRP around here for new ......

Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 PM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the life of me, I don't undestand why anyone would pay more than MSRP. Never want a thing bad enough that you can't walk away or you'll get bent over every time. For those of you who believe that you can't get a Harley less than over MSRP, that's exactly what the dealers want you to believe. Just walk away from the deal. Unless I'mmissing something, if enough people refuse to pay more that MSRP, then dealer will adjust their prices.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You should ask for 2500. in extras too. What the heck, if your gonna get laughed at, you might as well make it worth it!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerick
All you dealers out there...I'am lookin to buy a 2009 EG Classic...red hot sunglo...ABS....cruise....i'am coming with cash...don't talk msrp..not interested...give me your best deal...
pm the moco attn ***** Gee.. he has the deal.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aviator
I think it depends on what market you're in. used HD sales around here are doing great. 3 weeks ago, I was offered $17350 for an '08 Fatboy I paid $18340 a yr ago...... the dealer said they'd mark it up a grand and sell it within the week. doesn't make sense to me. why would someone pay $2000 more for a used '08 instead of an '09???? but, the saleman said they can't get enough used bikes.

I don't think many are giving less than MSRP around here for new ......
They sell em to overseas buyers, even with an import tax of 50%-150% its still cheaper than buying it in their own country because of the $ conversion, FWIW, my trade in is now enroute to Poland!

Quick Reply: Dealers...lookin to buy