Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't ride - Your rides

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can't ride - Your rides

I'm sitting here with my foot elevated for the 8th straight day after having foot surgery, and I still have another 6 days to go. It's 59* out, sunny, and the trees look pretty good through the window. Since I can't ride, tell about some of your rides. Maybe I can enjoy them through osmosis or something.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:55 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't ride today - too much yard work - but we plan to ride tomorrow. It will be 65 and sunny here in N. Indiana and the leaves are brilliant. This is the third weekend in a row we have had nice riding weather. We rode up to Saugatuck, MI 2 weeks age, rode to Indiana Dunes last weekend and I think we will go to the Northwest part of the stae - maybe spend some time in Amish country. Looking forward to it. Hope you heal soon!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry your laided up. Just got back from a great country ride. Two lane roads with dozens of S turns. Hadrly anyone on the road this morning. Only about 160 miles but lots of fun.
Take care

Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain! Sitting in a danged office today, sun is out, bike is in the parking lot. At least I'll be able to ride it home. Sorry about your foot, heal quickly, take it easy.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two years ago I had knee surgery that left me unable to ride for three months. When I got better the doctor told me he didn't want me to ride motorcycles anymore and I said "Right". He then told me I could ride my street bikes but would have to give up my dirt bike because kicking it over would be hard on my reconstructed knee. So I went out and bought a new Honda CRF450X electric start and haven't looked back. I'll be fifty-seven next month and I've been riding since I was ten and there is no way I'm giving up riding without a fight. This afternoon I'm heading up Mount Tamalpais on the old Bolinas-Fairfax stagecoach road up to the Bolinas Ridge Road and then down to the Pacific Ocean. Below is a link where you can see what part of that ride is like. You might recognize it because they make a lot of car commercials up there. After hitting the link, scroll down to Marin Sonoma, then click on Bolinas Ridge Rd video. You will go to another page and then scroll down to Bolinas Ridge Road and click on it and see what it's like riding a thousand feet above the ocean. That's my back yard. If anyone watches the video put it on full screen mode to get the full effect. I know that doesn't really help you, but you'll be back in the saddle before you know it.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D1Dd%26sa%3DN

Last edited by MATUCHI; 10-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoteh
I'm sitting here with my foot elevated for the 8th straight day after having foot surgery, and I still have another 6 days to go. It's 59* out, sunny, and the trees look pretty good through the window. Since I can't ride, tell about some of your rides. Maybe I can enjoy them through osmosis or something.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I am on my 11th day since having my left hip replaced and it is way too nice out not to be on a bike. I enjoy hearing about other's rides!!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It started Last Week..............

Finally found and Indy to do my new tires, and fork seals.

Local Dealer wanted $ 700.00 plus dollars just for the Tires, and I was tired of being raped... so was on the hunt for a new Mech.
New Guy will do the tires and Seals for under what the dealer wants for the tires, and I've made a preliminary "Stop-By" his shop just to see how he operates... looks ok, so I drop the Bike off the next day. (Of Course it Rains HARD that day, and the bike is a Mud puppy for the drop off ! ).

Pick it up two days later, but the battery was really weak... and since it was 3 yrs. old and they give me a fair price on a new one....... I get a new battery as well before I depart. ( And still came in under what dealer wanted for just the tires ! )

Me and the wife are leaving that evening for Panama City for a long week end, so I barely have time to look the bike over, and check for loose stuff but all appears good. ( Except the bike is still filty, and I cant believe a could find one square inch that diddnt have greasy hand prints.... but no time to clean..... already late for departure !

Trip goes well......had a front turn signal go out, but I carry spares so after a short stop in a parking lot, We're back in business.
Repairs seem to have went well... and the bike rides fine for us, but I always ride WAY conservatively when I have my wife on.... so I really couldnt give the bike a proper "Shake-Down" cruise.

This mourning I have the Grand Children waking me from sleep with squeals and shouts, so I decide to take a short ride to get coffee and some smokes.
I wash the bike and dry it.... removing all the "Grease Monkey" and discover a couple small places where they bruised my chrome........ No biggee tho, and I'm probably the only one that will ever notice.

Fire her up and let her warm up as finish a smoke, and while a quick scan of my tool shelf reveals I need another qt. of oil to do an oil change.... I decide a stop by the dealer is in order.
I put on my gear.... mount up... and ease down the dirt drive way, and turn out on to the paved road that will take me to town some twenty miles away.

The weather is clear, with a strong breeze..... cool, probably 70 F.
The bike warms up after the 1st couple miles, and I let her have a little reins on the dipping, twisting back roads and she responds nicely.
Growling strong on acceleration, and rumbling throatily on decel.

Stop at a Truck Stop for coffee and Smokes........
Notice gas is @ $ 2.79 a gal. ...... Cool !

Cruise out on to the County road, and head for town, opting to by pass the Faster route via the Interstate.
Air is cool, glad I wore my Leather jacket.... Bugs are far less than a month ago...... traffic slim.
First stop light on the edge of town...... I catch it Red, along side a pretty little thing in a SUV.
I catcher her looking the bike over, and shy smiles a bit embarassed.... her boy on the other side..... NOT smiling ! ( Lol )

Now at the Dealer......
They musta had some type of event..... parking lot set up with food tables and such.
Look a few bikes over and go inside to get my oil......... $ 8.00 a Freakin qt. , Ya gotta be kiddin Me !
It aint Synthetic, just regular old dyno oil.... Damn they're proud of It !
( Is it just me.... or does it seem like Parts and such have gone up dramatically at the Dealer ? )

Anyways..... The ride home was Smooth and so Far I got no complaints from the work the Indy did.... so maybe I got a new Shop for my bike when she needs to go in.
All in all it was a Great mourning for a ride...... but arent they all ?

Heal Fast....... And be Well !!!!!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:01 PM
The Savage Rabbit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow my dad (2008 Road Glide) and I (2008 Road King) will take the CA 101 North to the 33 up through Ojai. We'll make our way back to the 101 and then to the 150 through the Los Padres National Forrest. We'll end up in Solvang for lunch. From there we'll explore the area and then take the 101 South back. Maybe stop by the Ventura Harley and then take the Pacific Coast Highway back. Should be about 230 miles round trip and take a little over half of the day.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Philt
Road Master

Originally Posted by scoteh
I feel your pain as well. I've been laid up since the end of August from some complications from lung surgery. I sit all day looking out of my window at the trees and watch them slowly change to the beautiful fall colors. We have had some awesome weather here in East Central Missouri and fall is my favorite time to ride. Oh well........there is always next year. I hope you heal soon.
Phil

Old 10-18-2008, 08:34 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys. My imagination is good and I could almost feel the air in my face. My wifer lugged my wheelchair out today and at least I got to feel the sun, smell some good fall air, and hear the bikes in the distance.

Bluesssman, hip replacements aren't fun, my brother has had 3 (one hip twice, obviously), but his quality of life is greatly improved. Get well quick. Watch out in airports now, though. They don't like titanium much.

Philt - Man, I really hope all goes well with you. My foot may suck, but lungs are serious stuff. Where in East Central MO are you? Can't be that far from Festus. Like you say, there is always next year.

Quick Reply: Can't ride - Your rides