Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't ride - Your rides

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't we be telling you that it's a miserable day out, that the wind is blowing like crazy, and that riding is horrible right now ... that way you're not missing as much.

On the other hand, it was a beautiful day around here. Rode 100 miles this morning for the heck of it then hopped on the ATV this afternoon for a 2 hour ride in the mountains. I don't get crap done around the house on days like this one.

There ... does that make you feel better? ;-)

Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Scott (SWWilson77) and I invited all the HD Forum members in the Chicago area out for a nice country ride. We were to meet at a local HD Dealer between 11:00 & 12:00, head out at 12 for a nice country ride. I forgot I had to work. Called Scott his morning, told him to be at the dealer at 11 for anyone who showed up, told him I'd be along about 11:30-ish, and, if no one showed - we'd have a good ride anyway. Out of 9 people who said they'd show, or might show, only ChrisTRX showed up for the ride.

My wife and I did the 40 mile round trip to work and back, heading out in the early a.m. while it was still pretty chilly out. The ride back was much warmer, but made a little more exciting by some dumb bitch on a cell phone who decided to turn into a gas station right in front of me. I was accelerating pretty hard at the time, as we had just pulled out from a light. Loud pipes have zero impact on stupid people. All I could do was stop, as there were cars alongside me to the left, and a curb to the right. I stopped without issue, and considered letting go of the brakes enough to bump her vehicle with my front tire, then thought better of it. Made the rest of the trip without incident, arriving at the Harley dealer just past 11:30.

So Chris and his wife, me and my wife & Scott, headed out on some back country roads, taking the long way to the Big Four Inn in beautiful Carbon Hill, IL. It was a little chilly today, but, the thermometer did make it up to 68°F, so, not bad. Chris & his wife had to take off for a dinner they had scheduled with some friends. The three of us remaining had another cup of coffee, and then hit the road. As usual, we stuck to the back country roads - little or no traffic, some nice twists and turns. Eventually, we made our way back to my house. Scott and I decided to make a bit of noise, so he jammed a bit of bass and then guitar, I played a little guitar, then hung out at the drum kit.

Scott layered up for the ride home, as the temp had dropped to 45°F and just emailed he'd made it home, safe & warm.

A nice day, nice ride, cool people, lots of laughs... pretty much the usual for us these days.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
timothymartin6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know your pain. I dropped my bike last October and broke my leg in two places . One plate and eleven screws. Six weeks in a cast and ten weeks in therapy. I couldnt stand it after about eight weeks and went for a ride whole wearing soft cast and tied my cruches to the luggage rack. The wife was pissed but it was worth it.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday was beautiful here. I got out about noon and rode to Victoria to see my Mom. About 1.5 hours. Stopped in to see a friend in Duncan and an indy shop I will be seeing soon about 1/2 way. What a nice day. It had rained for a few days but today was sunny and the roads were dry. Fall leaves were every colour. Red, orange, yellow and still lots of green. The smell of the leaves and wood smoke. I love that. Add to this, I had views of the Pacific ocean for most of the ride. Fall is my favorite season.

Get well soon.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoteh
Thanks guys. My imagination is good and I could almost feel the air in my face. My wifer lugged my wheelchair out today and at least I got to feel the sun, smell some good fall air, and hear the bikes in the distance.

Bluesssman, hip replacements aren't fun, my brother has had 3 (one hip twice, obviously), but his quality of life is greatly improved. Get well quick. Watch out in airports now, though. They don't like titanium much.

Philt - Man, I really hope all goes well with you. My foot may suck, but lungs are serious stuff. Where in East Central MO are you? Can't be that far from Festus. Like you say, there is always next year.
I'm in Washington, MO. Yea I'm not that far from Festus. When we both get back to riding we'll have to hook up!
Phil

Old 10-19-2008, 04:27 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
Shouldn't we be telling you that it's a miserable day out, that the wind is blowing like crazy, and that riding is horrible right now ... that way you're not missing as much.

On the other hand, it was a beautiful day around here. Rode 100 miles this morning for the heck of it then hopped on the ATV this afternoon for a 2 hour ride in the mountains. I don't get crap done around the house on days like this one.

There ... does that make you feel better? ;-)
Yes it did. I'd much rather hear that others are having a good time if I can't! Like I said, I have a good imagination,so I just try to visualize your rides. Thanks again. Hopefully, there are other cripples reading your rides and enjoying them, too.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Smile

My Son and I went for a round robin today. Skirted the Mexico Border on hwy 94 up into the high desert. Then crossed into God country with pine trees and lake to our favorite place to have lunch, Lake Cuyumuca. Parked the bikes in full view while we sat on the rear deck overlooking the lake, all while having lunch. Head into Julian to just go down Banner Grade (twisty with trees that form tunnels), then a left onto San Felipe Road (low desert) for a high speed run. Then a stop to wet the whistles at the Hideout (biker hangout) and then home.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Default This Weekend Rides

Sorry your're down.

Two greate rides this weekend. Saturday with my family (4 bikes) I led the group for a 100 mile trip around Central Indiana ending at a greate cafe in Whitestown owned by two long time Harley Owners. Place is orange and black and their not chefs, believe it or not. Called LA Cafe.

Sunday went with my H.O.G. group on the best all round skill testing ride of the season. About 30 bikes showed up and we were on back roads almost the entire 70 mile ride. Because of the twisties and such, the ride lasted over 2 hours. Finished up at a pancake house for brunch

Now I'm cleaning up the bike getting ready to use my brand new heated jacket, pants liners and gloves going to work the rest of this week.

Doesn't get much better....I hope that I don't have to put the glide away except for the days it snows and sleets. Have 10,000 miles on the baby this year so far.

Hope you get back in the saddle soon!!

bj

Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got together today with my boss and some friends. 3 BMW touring bikes, a Suzuki burgman 650 (650cc scooter), a Yamaha cruiser, and me. We went through 4 small nebraska towns and stopped at Dairy Queen in one. All in all probably only about a 150 mile trip or so, but it was good fun. Kinda funny, me 20, and 6 other people(one 2 up), 40 and up, all on different bikes. Sharing the passion. Good day to ride here. 73 and sunny. A bit windy. A couple semi's almost took me out with their wind blast.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to thank everyone who responded. That's the way weekend's are supposed to be. Good weather, great bikes, and good people. I personally don't get tired of reading about other peoples rides. They give me ideas for my future rides. I have the other foot to get cut on when this one s totally healed, so I won't be back in the saddle until late January or early February. You can bet I'll be pulling out all the cold weather gear as soon as I can!
Take care and watch out for the idiots.
Matuchi - the vid put me on the road, so thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Can't ride - Your rides