General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughter on the back

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You trusted him enough to allow her to marry, sounds like he has more then average riding skills, I assume he is responsible.

I say, chill out Dad.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think fathers are the only ones. Why do you think all you men complain about your mother-in-law? I'm sure I'm going to be THE Mother-in-law from he11!

You have a beautiful daughter. Her husband will take real good care of her. Hasn't he done so already?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer

I understand how you feel, my daughter is only 12 so I don't have to deal with this issue for several years, but I do understand that there is a special relationship between father and daughter. In the end you need to give her space and support and love her.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

How would I feel? I feel like my 27 & 29 year old daughters are grown women with their own lives and are capable of making their own decisions. (I think they may have even engaged in sexual activity) ... My job was to raise them to be responsible adults, capable of taking care of themselves. If they ask for my advice, I'll give it, otherwise, I trust them to lives their lives whatever way they decide is best for them.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I get to ride with the son in law and the middle daughter about once a month. It's good to get to ride together. My youngest rides her own bike, we usually ride every chance she is not playing soldier. She is on the way to Iraq in June 09. She says she will pick up a new Deluxe on her way home.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:44 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got 2 duaghters 17, and 20. They've been riding with me since before they could reach the pegs. If they meet a guy who rides and he wants to get a street bike to ride with me I'd be as happy as a pig in ****. lol.... I would always worry about them, your supposed to. That's part of being a parent.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume he is responsible or you would have objected to her marrying him.
It sounds like he has more then average riding skills and she is an adult.
Hard to grit your teeth and let go since she's your little girl but...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Since she is an adult, married woman, I say let her ride. Especially since she will be riding beside you.

I have a 7 year old daughter. I have already pointed out guys on crotch rockets and told her that I will kill the first boy who dares give her a ride on one of those things. I guess that's just until she gets married. After that, I'll only kill the guy after he has an accident.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bullseye
Ask youself this question. How does she feel about her mother on the back of your bike? Man, what I would give for my son-in-law and daughter to spend some quality time on the road with me. You should consider yourself lucky.
Coming at it from the other side, she's also lucky to have a dad that cares for her that she and her husband can ride with.

Lisa

Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My ONLY child, our daughter was married this last July to a nice young man whom I trust. We have one child...a true gift from GOD. My wife has been PG seven times, so our only child is a blessing and a gift to us. It wasn't easy when the pastor asked who gives this bride away, I choked out a response of "her mother and I do". The wedding was about fifty miles from my home, and since my daughter wanted her "daddy" to ride her into the wedding site on the Harley I had to get the bike home that evening, riding alone, late...after midnight...my eyes filled with tears on the cruise home. I knew I had to let her go, but I wanted to keep her.
Her mother got to our house about a half hour after I did. We hugged and wept together, then my wife went to our daughters room and laid on her bed, cried into her pillow as she fell asleep. I didn't sleep much that night.
Our daughter tells me and her Mom every time we get on the Harley..."Don't make me an orphan, be careful". That always makes me look three times instead of just twice.
So I'm sorry, I'm selfish, if my daughter wants to go for a motorcycle ride I would prefer it was behind the man that loves her more than anoyone else ever could, in a fatherly way. Notice I said "prefer"...I would make sure he has taken the safety course, and that he and I have ridden together.
And the song above worked, since I now have a few health issues that will not be going away. Circle of life and all.....
All of you ride safe, and give your loved ones an extra hug.

Quick Reply: Daughter on the back