General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day for my bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad day for my bike

So today looked pretty good at first - nice weather, I took a long way to work, went by the post office and picked up my wife's new Schott Perfecto, then came on to work. The I went out to leave for lunch and backing out of my parking space cut it too tight and hit the bumper of the government car beside me, busted one of my turn signal covers, which were chrome-look covers with red iron crosses in the center than came with the bike, so I don't even know where to look for a replacement. I picked up the pieces and put them in my pocket and started riding away and about 100 yards down the parking lot my left front peg fell off. I tried to put it back on, but the bolt in my non-HD forward control/peg set had stripped (been giving me trouble for a few days), so I put it in the other pocket and rode home with my left foot on the passenger peg and brought my truck back to work. That sucked. I take it as a sign not to ride today. Oh well, at least the pedal of my shift lever didn't fall off again, like Saturday. I really need to start checking those bolts.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
So today looked pretty good at first - nice weather, I took a long way to work, went by the post office and picked up my wife's new Schott Perfecto, then came on to work. The I went out to leave for lunch and backing out of my parking space cut it too tight and hit the bumper of the government car beside me, busted one of my turn signal covers, which were chrome-look covers with red iron crosses in the center than came with the bike, so I don't even know where to look for a replacement. I picked up the pieces and put them in my pocket and started riding away and about 100 yards down the parking lot my left front peg fell off. I tried to put it back on, but the bolt in my non-HD forward control/peg set had stripped (been giving me trouble for a few days), so I put it in the other pocket and rode home with my left foot on the passenger peg and brought my truck back to work. That sucked. I take it as a sign not to ride today. Oh well, at least the pedal of my shift lever didn't fall off again, like Saturday. I really need to start checking those bolts.
Damn. Takes me back to when I had my Duo-Glide. I still to this day periodically check fasteners on my bike (05). Lessons learned from riding a Pan. Rarley find any loose. Old habits die hard.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,445 Likes on 8,438 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
lunch and backing out of my parking space cut it too tight and hit the bumper of the government car beside me, busted one of my turn signal covers, .
I would have got off the bike, and kicked the chit
out of the goverment car.
Man.....That would have made me feel a little better.
After we just gave them a trillion.
Then I would have reported the gov. car to the office,
find out who drove it today, and woooped their azz.
Then I would have...............
OOOhhh, sorry, it wasn't my bike. ouuppps.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

At least you made it home OK!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
lowriderrob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there got the t-shirt. On those days when everything you touch falls apart, it kind of makes you leary to go take a leak!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bad day when your bike gets damaged, and so do you.

Glad you were not hurt.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't that normal for HDs? People tell me how they shake so bad that everything shakes loose and parts fall off, I did have a screw on my wife's backrest back out and vibrate a nick in my rear fender, but nothing major, like my transmission or my engine fall out. Everything seems to be pretty much where it was when I bought it, go figure.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Sucks, especially when every thing started out with such promise. Makes me think of when I golf and hit the huge drive in the middle of the fairway and then triple bogey. Have you started searching for the replacement lens yet? Hopefully, all the gremlins attacked at once and you're done with it.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Sounds like a pretty normal day for me.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your bike is telling you something.....time for a little maintenance Not implying that you DON'T take care of it, just a little extra TLC is needed.

Last edited by tima; 10-15-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: incomplete

Quick Reply: Bad day for my bike