General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Gumby...you want another one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Before its demise, the California Motorcycle Company was making replicas of both the Easy Rider bikes. Here are pictures I took out at Sturgis at CMC's display.

Attached Thumbnails Hey Gumby...you want another one?-billy-bike.jpg   Hey Gumby...you want another one?-easy-rider.jpg  
Old 10-16-2008, 03:18 AM
hogx2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! That's some funny Sh*t right there. I don't care who ya are.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Duh, '2006' should already tell you enough since the movie came out in 1969
In 1993 Glenn Bator and Jerry Sewell made a repro of Capt America's bike for Otis Chandler's Vintage Museum in Oxnard (Land of Fruits 'n Nuts). Rumor has it though that Gumby has the real thing

Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Appears to be just as "original" as ours. IF it makes any difference, at least I used 'period' correct components. The frame is a 71 or 2 Calif Choppers frame. They were only in biz 3 or 4 yrs. The girder is a 72, and that is still the original chrome. The motor is 65, was originally a kick/electric, but I went back to a tin primary, so no "Sportster thumb" problems.(For those of you that know what Sportster knee, is) Some ppl also notice the heads. I put STD panheads on when I rebuilt the motor. NO MORE broken 'nipples'.

The "story" I heard, that I believe, is the surviving original is in Anamosa. TMK, the 'originals' were built by Fonda, Dan Haggerty (sp), and Tex Hall. When the others were 'stolen', have to remember, they weren't 'famous' yet. And it never made sense to me, the story 'bout Fonda 'stealing' the bikes. TMK, He and Hopper made the movie, so they owned the bikes from the git go.
The "best" copy of the original I have seen, was built by a guy over in Germany. Used ALL the period correct items. Right down to the same bolts, nuts, Triumph fender, etc.

The ones that Calif. Moto. Co came out with, used the Panzer motor, electric start. Disc brakes, blinkers, horn, ALL that there 'safety' equip. junk. That's the 'bad' thing about the 'new' ones.
The closest 'copy' or copies that I have seen on EBAY, are built by a guy in Colo. He has built 3 in 5 yrs. And he used wishbone frames, and 'original' pan motors.

Go to Paughcos website, they sell the 'original' seat, sissybar, tank, exhaust, etc.
The 'tricky' part, finding a 'wishbone' frame to start the build.

The BEST part? My 'partner' is better lookin' than Jack Nicholson.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Yeah, a lot better than Nicholson. Thanks for the rundown Gumby. Only thing I remember about Sportster knee (if that's what you mean) is I had to kneel on the saddle just to get enough leverage to kick the thing over and lord help you if you forgot to use the spark advance with the left grip - know what I mean
Did Fonda and Hopper actually own the bikes? Not that it's necessarily relevant but I heard there were problems after the filming of Wild Hogs cause they wouldn't let the guys keep the bikes they used to make the film with

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The title of the bike is "Captain American Bike". sounds fishy. should be Captain America.
Besides the engine and chrome has held up quite well for what 39 years? buyer beware!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

It's all good. With one of these copy Captains, you can fool 99% of the people as you ride by with a pair of Peter Fonda sunglasses and a stars and stripes helmet where needed. Even though incorrect in many ways, each is a tribute to a classic movie and a long lost era. I like em all.

Ride on....

Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,263 Likes on 22,615 Posts

I heard that the original C A was stolen.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Did'nt you all see the movie Will & I?.. Two chicks on Harleys take off in search for the REAL original bike and find it in the end. It was at some junkyard all these years under a canvas cover...started right up....and she rode it away....
Ok..it was just a movie...but the chicks were hot.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
softail04
Road Master

from an interview on tv .. fonda said they blew one up and the other was stolen so if the title doesn't say stolen bike it ain't real

Quick Reply: Hey Gumby...you want another one?