General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen to this

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 PM
03fatty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Listen to this

I can honestly say my salesman was very nice, being as I was only 23 when I went into the dealer and not a whole lot of people my age even ride a Harley, much less go to buy a new one and write a check for it too!! I asked to test ride a 99 Heritage and all he asked was if I had my license, I said "yeah", and he got the bike ready for me to ride- mind you I am taking a 99 Heritage in Dec. 02- I got to riding down Rt 1 and look down at the speedometer and see 29,999 on the odometer- okay, 15k for a 3 year old bike with 30k on it and the salesman told me that it had been there for a year!!! Okay, neexxt!!! He asked how I liked it, and I told him, hey its great, but too many miles, he said well what do you really want?? I said a black Fatboy, he looked on the computer and said he had 2 downstairs, well lets go look. We went down and looked at them and I said I will be back in an hour with my checkbook!!! smooth sailing ever since. He remembers me and my bike to this day, and I am not down there nearly as often as I'd like, good people and thats what it is all about.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

ORIGINAL: whiplush

TnHeritage if your talking about Smth Bros. in Johnson City/Bristol (don't know which it is, kinda between them) they suck IMHO.They won't come down on the price for squat. I went in there Saturday and looked at a few things that I had previously looked at from Colboch in Morristown and everything was a great deal higher. I live about 30 minutes from Smith Bros. and when I started looking at buying a Harley the first thing everyone said at work was "Don't go to Smith Bros." Colboch was going to give me a decent deal but they were gonna have to order it so I wound up finding one at Gene Lummus in Swananoa NC. They were all very nice there. The sales guy took me around the whole store and introduced me to everyone that worked there and everyone he introduced me to gave me something. They really make you feel special and that means alot. I almost can't wait to go back for my 1000 mile service.
Yea that's them, funny thing though, when I was looking for a bike they were the only one willing to give me a descent price at that time, also the only one's getting a bike in, I just don't understand why the change in the way they are doing bussiness, make's no since to me and your right Smokey's is 15 mins. from my house and I go over there alot but they couldn't get me a bike at the time and I'm really sorry they couldn't.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 AM
whiplush
Tourer

Yea that's them, funny thing though, when I was looking for a bike they were the only one willing to give me a descent price at that time, also the only one's getting a bike in, I just don't understand why the change in the way they are doing bussiness, make's no since to me and your right Smokey's is 15 mins. from my house and I go over there alot but they couldn't get me a bike at the time and I'm really sorry they couldn't.
Check this out, I go to work today and tell my riding bud about your story and before I get halfway into it he says "Joe?". I said yeah, and he said that guy does that to everyone!

On another note, man we live really close to each other. I live in Greeneville. I looked up your town on the map and I had never heard of it but I know the towns around it. Most of my family lives in Morristown and my mom lives really close to you, between you and Colboch as a matter of fact. I have played golf at Clinchview many times with my step dad which I'm sure you pass on a regular basis.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Your right on the money whiplush, heck we'll meet over at Smokey's some day if you want and shoot the bull or maybe get together and ride, heck I'm in greenville all the time on my bike, my best freind live's on afton rd. and we ride together alot. I'll send you a private message.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:13 AM
whiplush
Tourer

Got your message and replied via e-mail, hope it gets to ya!

Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rule #1, the customer is always right. You dont have to be a salesman to know that. What a jack ***! When I want to buy something, and I want a salesmans oppinion I'll tell it to him!! [:@][:-]

Old 03-31-2005, 06:24 AM
augason
Advanced

I have been in sales all my life and it doesnt matter if you sell G I Joes at Toys arnt us or Hummers you need to listen.
Listen and listen some more. A person will sell themselves if you shut up and listen and help them get what they want.
I cant believe this guy actually started up bikes trying to make a point. What a pompus Mr. know it all. He got what he
deserved. You gotta wounder who trained him. Maybe his boss is the same way! Its that type of sales person who gives
the rest of us a bad name. Augie

Old 03-31-2005, 11:24 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

03Fatty,

Glad you got what you wanted, and it sounds like a decent experience overall. My dealer is much the same, and I enjoy that. He's good, remembers my name, and he even has a personality!

Mac

Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Norskie
Advanced

Rules for Salesmen:

#1. The customer is ALWAYS right.
#2. If the customer is WRONG, see rule #1.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but a friend of mine told me a similar story. He told me about a person that went into a HD dealership nearby with the intentions of buying a new bike. Nobody would wait on him and after about 10- 15 minutes, he proceeded to walk out. On his way out, he stopped by the salesman that was by the door and told him this, "I have the money in my pocket to buy a new Harley but you're not getting one damn cent of it." Needless to say, he went elsewhere and that salesman lost his job over that. I guess that some people never learn that keeping the customer happy is how a person makes money and also keeps their job.

Quick Reply: Listen to this