General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not everything is cheap in China

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008 | 07:28 AM
Beercan321
|
Tourer
Default Not everything is cheap in China

I was talking to a guy that recently returned from a business trip to China. He told me that you can buy authentic Harley boots there for $7. I decided to check the website of one of the Harley dealers in China to see if they sell Harley stuff really cheap. They don’t. A Harley t-shirt sells for about 50 bucks American. The bikes are super expensive. A 2008 Fat Boy sells for 260000 Yuan. That works out to $38,057.00 U.S. dollars. Ouch! I wonder how many bikes Harley is selling in China.

Attached is a screen shot of the Chinese dealer’s web site. It’s funny how the website language converter lists the 2008 Fat Boy model as a 2008 Overweight People model.

Attached Thumbnails Not everything is cheap in China-untitled.jpg  
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:38 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=Beercan321;3994262] Ouch! I wonder how many bikes Harley is selling in China.
QUOTE]

Heh. Probably quite a few. A Harley in China would be like a Bentley or a Rolls in America: a luxury item for the super rich, and there are quite few of those as well now, in China. The problem is that the gap between the rich and poor in China is already bigger than the Grand Canyon.

Old 10-15-2008 | 07:58 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Do their tee shirt tags say, "Made in America"? ; )

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:04 AM
kc10boom
Advanced

Before I retired from the Air Force, Japanese in Japan and Okinawa were paying about $38K for your basic model Harleys. The image is a huge deal, they pay full prices for used designer jeans, crap with Coke logos, etc., on it.

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:05 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by petemac
Do their tee shirt tags say, "Made in America"? ; )
I picked up a couple of T-shirts at Techno H-D in Hong Kong last year and they cost about $35 each. You got me thinkin' though so I just went and had a look; now I'm really laughin' the label says big as life 100% cotton, Made in U.S.A. Holoubek, Waukesha, WI. Don't that just beat all

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:31 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Too funny..... ; )

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
I picked up a couple of T-shirts at Techno H-D in Hong Kong last year and they cost about $35 each. You got me thinkin' though so I just went and had a look; now I'm really laughin' the label says big as life 100% cotton, Made in U.S.A. Holoubek, Waukesha, WI. Don't that just beat all

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:38 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by kc10boom
Before I retired from the Air Force, Japanese in Japan and Okinawa were paying about $38K for your basic model Harleys. The image is a huge deal, they pay full prices for used designer jeans, crap with Coke logos, etc., on it.
That's not too far off the mark, last year I paid about $34k for a stock RK here in NL I just load up on accessories when I visit family in the US or have stuff shipped via an APO

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:54 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master

Not suprised....when I lived in Gemany, Mercedes and BMW were the norm....heck the little C class cars are the taxis....they are like Ford and Chevy here....if you owned a Corvette there, it was like owning a higher end Beemer/Mercedes here....same thing if you had a Jeep. American cars just aren't popular with them because they can't perform on the autobahn.

Owning a quality foreign brand is expensive, wherever you live.

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:55 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I read Harley's are the best selling, most coveted, heavy bike sold in Japan.

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:00 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

China is really very capitalistic and their new unofficial moto is, "To get rich is glorious!"

Quick Reply: Not everything is cheap in China