General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not everything is cheap in China

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:04 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by barjbar
I read Harley's are the best selling, most coveted, heavy bike sold in Japan.
I couldn't say for sure but seein' as how so many rice burners are being produced there it would kind of surprise me but I do know the Japs love anything Made in USA - they say there's a run on the glasses frames Sarah Palin's wearing but they're Made in Japan.
Here in NL there's only about 1300 Harley's per year being sold. That's in a country about the size of Conn. with 17m population and 11 dealers - there ain't no arguement about test rides, customer service and kiss my a$$ they're all just too hungry.

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:07 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I worked in China for about a year. Probably what the guy was referring to with the boots was knock offs. Street vendors sell a ton of that kinda stuff. I bought a pair of flip flops while I was over there. They had the playboy bunny logo on them but the script said PLAYDOY. But, they were only 7 RMB which equated to about a buck US. You can probably buy Harley shirts but they may say HARDLEY DAVISSON

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:12 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
Made in U.S.A. Holoubek, Waukesha, WI. Don't that just beat all
That company changed its name to VF Imagewear. I watch out for those tags when I buy shirts, and avoid them. Ex-wife works there. It's bad enough I pay her a sh-load of child support, I don't need to support her company.

Old 10-15-2008 | 09:14 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
I worked in China for about a year. Probably what the guy was referring to with the boots was knock offs. Street vendors sell a ton of that kinda stuff. I bought a pair of flip flops while I was over there. They had the playboy bunny logo on them but the script said PLAYDOY. But, they were only 7 RMB which equated to about a buck US. You can probably buy Harley shirts but they may say HARDLEY DAVISSON
That's only the legit ones, you can get copyright infringement stuff anywhere there, from rolex's to you name it Probably won't be long before they start flooding the market with Harley's Made in China

Old 10-16-2008 | 01:48 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
Here in NL ...
I was thinking I knew of a hot looking airbrush artist in NL, but, it turns out she's in Iceland.

I suppose you're not too far from her... if you're a good swimmer.

Old 10-16-2008 | 02:06 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I was thinking I knew of a hot looking airbrush artist in NL, but, it turns out she's in Iceland.

I suppose you're not too far from her... if you're a good swimmer.
It's not the distance but the water temperature that'll get ya Hope she doesn't have her savings account with IcelandSave I've actually been there a couple times, nice for a day but a drag after that and you don't even want to know what you got to pay for a beer

Old 10-16-2008 | 02:15 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grind
That company changed its name to VF Imagewear. I watch out for those tags when I buy shirts, and avoid them. Ex-wife works there. It's bad enough I pay her a sh-load of child support, I don't need to support her company.
Know what you mean about child support bro so out of solidarity I went and checked the other T's I got - most are from Hanes (R.K. Strathman - St. Lou) or De-Lux, but 2 are from VF; 1 bought in Alkmaar and the other Caen. I'll try to watch out for them in the future

Old 10-16-2008 | 05:37 AM
JKK
Road Captain

Why would a Chinese guy pay $38k for an 08 Overweight Person when theyve got all those wonderful Lifans and Sun L Royal Sun HD look-a-like bikes?

I wonder is there motto "Buy Chinese" or Chinese Thunder?

Old 10-16-2008 | 05:53 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

Originally Posted by Beercan321
I was talking to a guy that recently returned from a business trip to China. He told me that you can buy authentic Harley boots there for $7. I decided to check the website of one of the Harley dealers in China to see if they sell Harley stuff really cheap. They don’t. A Harley t-shirt sells for about 50 bucks American. The bikes are super expensive. A 2008 Fat Boy sells for 260000 Yuan. That works out to $38,057.00 U.S. dollars. Ouch! I wonder how many bikes Harley is selling in China.

Attached is a screen shot of the Chinese dealer’s web site. It’s funny how the website language converter lists the 2008 Fat Boy model as a 2008 Overweight People model.
Thats nothing. My son just returned from two months in Austrialia. The Harleys there are so expensive that the dealer mechanics can't afford to own one. A new Bagger..aprox $60,000.00 american. Not sure if that is due to demand or what, but thats some serious coin. Most folks that do own Harleys are of the Sporster variety and probably a lot less expensive. Was booking a trip for over the winter (summer over there) and the only Harley you can rent is a Sporster. Might have to go BMW on this one.

Old 10-16-2008 | 06:00 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kc10boom
Before I retired from the Air Force, Japanese in Japan and Okinawa were paying about $38K for your basic model Harleys. The image is a huge deal, they pay full prices for used designer jeans, crap with Coke logos, etc., on it.
How long ago was that? I ask because at present, not even the Electra Glide Ultra Classic sells for that much in Japan. I bought my Fatboy 105th Anniv. model for 2,250,000 yen, which is around $21,000. Much more expensive than America, to be sure, but not even close to the proportion you are quoting...

Quick Reply: Not everything is cheap in China