General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Deenmikeali
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler

Is it worth spending $225 to install a premium oil cooler on my Sportster to keep the oil temp down on long rides?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's a great precaution, especially in the newest models that seem to run even hotter nowadays. Of course it only works when you're underway - meaning not in stopped traffic - but it makes enough of a difference to make it worth the investment.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arizona
I think it's a great precaution, especially in the newest models that seem to run even hotter nowadays. Of course it only works when you're underway - meaning not in stopped traffic - but it makes enough of a difference to make it worth the investment.
What about a UC?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Yes!!! The more you can do to take better care of your engine the longer it will last. I know people will say they have ridden for lots of miles without one, but why not do what ever you can to promote the health of your engine. I added a Jagg cooler on my 07 RG and found it made a big difference in the engine temperature.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided to go with that Jagg cooler after talking to Marvin on the phone. I do not know if it is required or not, but it certainly cannot hurt.

The cooler obviously works most efficiently while the bike is in motion. But there is some additional cooling while the bike is sitting still. If this were not the case the motorcycle would overheat with or without the cooler while sitting still. The heat still radiates off as the air temperature is lower than temperature of the motor. The cooler is adding additional surface area to transfer the heat to the air.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed a Super Premium Oil Cooler a few years back. My bike overheated all the time in stop and go traffic. It has not overheated once after I installed the oil cooler!

It works and the engine oil (in my case) is about 30-50 degrees cooler.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

I have one. Yes, I think it is worth it.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally I would agree with the "yes" answer but we don't know where you live and that probably makes some difference to the question. Also, whether you ride much in the summer, in traffic often, or if you are just weekend cruising in the country in northern Canada. There is a very good 2-part article in American Iron mag for last month and this month on the very topic. If you live in a "typical" climate and have the $225 to spare, it would be a good investment in the overall care of your ride.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check Ebay, I just purchased one for my bike, and after shipping it was under $75.00, all that I need now are the stainless steel hoses and fitting. I priced them this morning for about $45.00. Install should be easy enough to do at home with a buddy or two and a twelve pack on cold brew.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what year your bike is but will share my experience.
On my 01 Roadglide, have a 95ci engine with some other mods. Always ran hot as hell. Toyed with the thought of an external oil cooler as I have one on another one of my other bikes (96ci evo). Before I made the purchase I switched to a cooler running plug, made all the difference in the world! Two years now and no pinging especially considering we just came off one of the hottest suumers on record in the midwest. Also switched to synthetic oil, all three holes. Am very happy with it now, but being an air cooled engine, it will get hot at times especially in stop and go traffic. Not much an oil cooler can do for you then. Also found the external oil cooler to be a bit of a pain in colder weather (ex: toys for tots), seemed the engine took an hour, maybe longer to heat up properly, although some folks use a thermostat, I don't.

I suggest trying a cooler running plug first, you might be surprised. If you are doing a lot of highway riding, an oil cooler shouldn't be neccessary anyway.

Good luck

Last edited by Roadjunkie1; 10-14-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler