General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1
Not sure what year your bike is but will share my experience.
On my 01 Roadglide, have a 95ci engine with some other mods. Always ran hot as hell. Toyed with the thought of an external oil cooler as I have one on another one of my other bikes (96ci evo). Before I made the purchase I switched to a cooler running plug, made all the difference in the world! Two years now and no pinging especially considering we just came off one of the hottest suumers on record in the midwest. Also switched to synthetic oil, all three holes. Am very happy with it now, but being an air cooled engine, it will get hot at times especially in stop and go traffic. Not much an oil cooler can do for you then. Also found the external oil cooler to be a bit of a pain in colder weather (ex: toys for tots), seemed the engine took an hour, maybe longer to heat up properly, although some folks use a thermostat, I don't.

I suggest trying a cooler running plug first, you might be surprised. If you are doing a lot of highway riding, an oil cooler shouldn't be neccessary anyway.

Good luck
Stupid question, but are you talking spark plug? What type do you recommend (if that's the case)?

I live in Arizona, and I haven't had any problems with the bike overheating, even when it's 115 out (I try not to ride too much at that point though to be honest!) It certainly ran fairly hot when it was stock, but once I swapped the pipes, A/C and PCIII on it, it's run like a champ. Besides, with me averaging about 4000 miles a year, it'll about 25 years before I might be looking at a rebuild.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

My 02 has a cooler on it and made a leather cover for it when temps are at down to 50 degrees F. When my 05 went over 1500 miles I put synthetic in it. After drive a highway speeds, then checked the oil and I never saw syn oil smoke like that, next item was the cooler with a thermostat, bike runs cooler now. Good article in American Iron Mag. and American Rider Magazine.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I run Amsoil 20w50 in all 3 holes. Great on the hiway but still a little warm in traffic. Noticed in the HD parts (if memory serves) book an electric fan that blows air between the cylinders when in heavy traffic. It mounts in the area where the horn is and the horn is relocated. The price is in the $350.00 range. I am seriously considering one of these units for my RG.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Install it your self. Very easy and save $60. I did on mine. It only took about 20minutes.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Stupid question, but are you talking spark plug? What type do you recommend (if that's the case)?

I live in Arizona, and I haven't had any problems with the bike overheating, even when it's 115 out (I try not to ride too much at that point though to be honest!) It certainly ran fairly hot when it was stock, but once I swapped the pipes, A/C and PCIII on it, it's run like a champ. Besides, with me averaging about 4000 miles a year, it'll about 25 years before I might be looking at a rebuild.

"A quick and easy step in the right direction is to use colder plugs. Rather than spend the exorbitant price Harley charges for [colder] EX12P plugs (part #32321-91, $13 per pair) I recommend installing Champion RA6HC plugs, which are colder than RA8HC and cost considerably less than SE plugs."

This information was per TC88 spec and worked for me.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

AI magazine had a good arcticle on oil coolers couple months back. Latest issue of American Rider has a good one on oil coolers also. Name of article is: Oil Coolers, do you really need one? Very informative...

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
I run Amsoil 20w50 in all 3 holes. Great on the hiway but still a little warm in traffic. Noticed in the HD parts (if memory serves) book an electric fan that blows air between the cylinders when in heavy traffic. It mounts in the area where the horn is and the horn is relocated. The price is in the $350.00 range. I am seriously considering one of these units for my RG.
I saw that a fan is available in the HD catalog but appears only for Touring models. However, see some aftermarket fans offered on ebay and this guy has been selling a bunch with good feed back so far. I am thinking about one or even an oil cooler for my Heritage.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Check out the current issue of American Rider. Joe Minton did a nice article on oil coolers. The HD brand cooler (made by Lockhart) was considered best. Coolers with a built in thermostat were considerd the best.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed a cooler on my UC before it left the Dealer. Best thing I ever done.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 46knuck
I saw that a fan is available in the HD catalog but appears only for Touring models. However, see some aftermarket fans offered on ebay and this guy has been selling a bunch with good feed back so far. I am thinking about one or even an oil cooler for my Heritage.
A person I ride with that has one of those small aftermarket fans off eBay that go where the horn is. It blows air pretty good. I'm not sure if it blows air as good as the HD "Parade Fan". However, It costs a lot less and looks a LOT better.

Personally, I use Mobil1 v-twin in the engine and crankcase and 85-140 Mobil1 gear oil in the tranny. A few years back I installed a HD Super Premium oil cooler. Between switching to Mobil1 v-twin and the oil cooler my overheating problems are gone.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler