General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early planning for a AZ trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 AM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early planning for a AZ trip

I know it's a lot of months away but we have to plan this far ahead because we soon have to bid for our next year's vacation slots... A buddy and I are making plans for a 2 week trip to Arizona via Moab Utah, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Sedona and then, time permitting, cross over to the West Coast and come back up all the way up the coast to Canada to home. We've never seen the Grand Canyon so that is a definite must do.

We were talking going in May right after your Memorial Day long weekend before we get too far into June...

What we are looking for is input from Utah/Arizona people or anyone else for that matter as to what the typical weather is like that time of year?

Any sooner and we run more risk of the spring snow storms here. (Long Weekend in May is notorious for snowing on the campers)

Later into June we were under the impression it's getting too hot towards the end of June and the Summer months are out...

Barring that... September but I can't wait that long lol...

Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weather should be good that time of year. Warm but not too hot in Southern Utah/Arizona. I know you only have 2 weeks but since you will be in south Utah you might want to consider going through Zion Canyon, then to Bryce Canyon, and onto the North Rim of Grand Canyon. You could do it in a day if you start early and it would definately be a ride to remember.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weather might be kinda cold that time of year on the west coast ... especially in the mountains....... froze my azz off throught Mt Shasta at the end of August.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Velobob
Advanced

Not sure of the weather then, I've done it in July and September. Heat and thunderstorms, but neither too bad.
If you are hitting Sedona, you should go through Jerome on the way in or out.
I second the Zion recomendation. My wife and I went back there this year after doing it last year. We wanted to spend more time there. Hit hwy. 12 NE of Bryce...what a ride. Stay at Boulder Mountain Lodge and eat at Hell's Backbone Grill in your day ends anywhere near Boulder, UT. Not affiliated, just been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it.
Bob

Old 10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Mornings will be cool, days warm with spring wind in Arizona. Always a little cooler at the grand canyon, might want to visit that between 10AM - 4PM for the warmth. But hey, your from Canada, will probably be very nice for you!! Great trip.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser

Thanks people for the good replies...

Talking with my buddy today where we just might hang around the desert a bit longer and forgo the West coast to save it for another time. I did this one a few years back when I was a Gold Wing owner and wanna do it again but should save that for another trip... That's good enough for me to plan another road trip...

So many have said that Zion and Bryce Canyon is a must do... I like your idea of making it a day side trip... We could also point the wheels towards Vegas and take in the Valley of Fire too... Man... So much to see out there with so little time...

You're right Twiggy... A cool morning there might be right at home for me right now... It snowed here last night but we should get a couple of more days in later this week before putting the bike to bed for the winter. I can easily handle the cool days but snow on the road is not a good thing...

There are people who find the desert landscape boring... Not me... I love it... Prolly, no, WILL end up putting in a lot more time there when I retire...

Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

If you do the route through Utah, and the north rim of the canyon... try to stay at Cliffdwellers Lodge... it's a nice little place in the middle of absolute NOWHERE...they have a little restaurant, a little store, and a gas station (but no premium). We stayed there and LOVED it!!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Don't forget weather.com for information on average temperatures.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
girlster8015
Cruiser

We loved the desert too. We stayed in Reno for 4 nights and did day trips from there. Lake Tahoe was ok, but Virginia City was lots more fun......the ride up was incredible, breathtaking views, hot weather We enjoyed it, and are planning to go through the southern states for 2 or 3 weeks next summer

Old 10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by donna.1965
If you do the route through Utah, and the north rim of the canyon... try to stay at Cliffdwellers Lodge... it's a nice little place in the middle of absolute NOWHERE...they have a little restaurant, a little store, and a gas station (but no premium). We stayed there and LOVED it!!
Now that's what it's all about...

We prefer those little Mom & Pop kind of places over the typical chains we go to all too often.

I take it the Cliffdwellers Lodge is right at the North Rim? I see that the North Rim is closed during the winter months.

EDIT: I googled them and they have a website... Awesome pictures....

Last edited by 08UltraRider; 10-15-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Found out where they are.

Quick Reply: Early planning for a AZ trip