General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sister wants to ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 12:25 AM
budnlucy
|
Tourer
Question Sister wants to ride.

My sister wants to ride but she dose'nt feel comfortable holding a bike up. She wants either a trike or a kit she can put on a sportster. Dose anyone have any suggestions.

Old 10-14-2008 | 12:34 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

A used trike is an option, but I would suggest a MSF course. With the training she may get enough confidence to ride on two wheels which will cost a lot less and be more enjoyable.

Old 10-14-2008 | 12:38 AM
bore
Advanced

Buy a tri glide

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:14 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joe.1955
A used trike is an option, but I would suggest a MSF course. With the training she may get enough confidence to ride on two wheels which will cost a lot less and be more enjoyable.
+1 on the course. Not only does she need the training regardless what she's going to ride, they have nice small bikes that will probably not intimidate her. If she's been sitting on your Road King and trying to hold that up, that could be a bit scary for the first time.

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:24 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

+2
Ain't those sportsters top heavy??? i know she's thinking trike kit,but still a thought in the back ot MY head....

Old 10-14-2008 | 07:00 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Tell her to take the MSF course before she decides what to ride - then discuss it. It may be that she'll decide to get a 2-wheel 250 Honda after the course and ride that for a while. A lot cheaper than a Harley and a sportster is a lot more to handle for a new rider.

Old 10-14-2008 | 09:09 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member

All that said MSF get an A+. I've seen the most intimidated first time riders walk out of their MSF class with the attitude of "Knowledge is everything, I can do this". Work their way up to the bike they feel comfortable with.

Old 10-14-2008 | 09:39 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Have her start with a smaller bike to learn. Even the smaller one (Honda VT600) scared me at first, but it doesn't take long. I have a friend who's starting on a Rebel 250. The big bikes most of you guys ride are still beyond me but working my way up.

Lisa

Old 10-14-2008 | 09:55 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skootchnc
+2
Ain't those sportsters top heavy??? i know she's thinking trike kit,but still a thought in the back ot MY head....
Sportsters have a higher center of gravity than other H-Ds, so they feel more top heavy than others. Don't let the small size of the Sportster (small compared to the other H-Ds) fool you...it's not a good starter bike by any means. It can hurt you real quick if you're not careful or if you're afraid of it.

Although there are many good starter bikes out there, the Homda Rebel is one of the best IMO. Low priced when new, holds its value pretty well, big time easy to handle, and you practically have to kick it over if you want to drop it while stopped. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself...first things first. Have her do the MSF course, and if she's OK on two wheels she can get a Rebel or something similar in size (a Buell Blast maybe, if you want to keep her in the H-D family). If she doesn't find herself living on the bike and dying for something bigger within a year, she's probably not meant to ride. FWIW.

Old 10-14-2008 | 10:03 AM
grimm
Road Master

i don't think a trike is the best way to start riding. take an MSF course and learn to ride a bike, before moving to a trike.

Quick Reply: Sister wants to ride.