General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which option for winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default which option for winter storage

so how hard is it on a bike to sit for extended periods in the cold garage. i will put the trickle charger on it, but probably not much else. if i keep it at home will use it when i can. will start and run when i can't.

below are my options along with some advantages and disadvantages

what do you think?

keep in my garage
advantages
- use any time i want
- free
disadvantages
- crowded
- not heated
- might me kinda damp with melting junk from the car

keep in friends garage
advantages
- bigger garage
- probably less dampness cause they don't park in the garage
- fairly close to home
- free
disadvantages
- still can't just hop on
- not heated

keep at dealer
advantages
- climate control
- wash, polish, change oil
disadvantages
- cost (can be cheaper if i put both bikes there. reduction if work is being performed)
- no in out privileges

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
...will start and run [it] when i can't.
Worst thing to do to a motor in storage, IMHO, unless you plan on letting it run long enough (20-30minutes?) to reach normal op. temp. and evaporate any condensation in the crankcase/exhaust,etc. With an air cooled motor, how long can it sit motionless before overheating? Will that be long enough to evap the condensation? Again, just my HO.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to live in Northern New York. We did have a few days every that I could have gotten it out of storage; but, always avoided the temptation because it is harder on the bike. The best thing to do is clean it up real good, change the oil, put in some fuel stabilizer, top off the tank, plug in the trickle charger and forget about it until spring. If you ride it occassionally during the winter then do not top off the tank you are reducing the fuel in the tank which means more air in the tank and more opportunity for condensation to form inside the gas tank. Do NOT occassionaly just start it up and let it idle in the garage. This is the worst possible thing you can do for it.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Grind
Worst thing to do to a motor in storage, IMHO, unless you plan on letting it run long enough (20-30minutes?) to reach normal op. temp. and evaporate any condensation in the crankcase/exhaust,etc. With an air cooled motor, how long can it sit motionless before overheating? Will that be long enough to evap the condensation? Again, just my HO.
Good point. Way too many people make this mistake!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer

What is this storage you northern people speak of?lol

Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The best winter storage for any bike is to move to a warmer climate

Old 10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Winter storage? What the heck is that?

Seriously, you'll be fine keeping it in your garage with a trickle charger on it. That's what we do, and everyone we know does it too. Every spring we are all out there as soon as possible with no trouble at all. And even on good days through the winter we are out riding if it's possible. We don't top off the tank before coming home, and we don't start the bikes unless we are going for a ride, but that's applies through out the year.

Are Chicago winters really so much worse than Jersey, that it would really do some damage?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer

I havent seen real snow in years and I dont miss it.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that if you cover the bike, use something Breathable. A good storage cover, or an old sheet work well, and keeps the dust off. If it can't breath, you will have problems with moisture causeing possible rust.

I store mine each year in the garage. Its not heated, we park 2 cars in there, and never have a problem. I change the fluids, top the tank and add stabil. clean the bike real well, wax it good, and use an HD Storage cover on it. Trickle charger and leave it till spring. I will pull it out if we get a few nice days with no salt on the roads, but otherwise, she stays in place.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have about 4 months of unridable weather and my bike shares the unheated garage with two vehicles.

When it's time to pack it in, change all fluids, fill tank up to top, add Stabil and ride home. Put up on jack, roll into it's corner, hook up the trickle charger, cover with a breathable cover and forget about it for the winter.

Quick Reply: which option for winter storage