General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternative to chaps???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 AM
eaheritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wear anything that keeps you warm,,, cold weather riding is survival in my book, i shake my head at those who get riding & fashion shows mixed up...

Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
A10
Banned

Here in England i couldn't ride-most of the year- without my "Damart" thermal underwear worn with kevlar lined "Draggin jeans". Never cold and no worries about friction burns. Neither are cheap but they are definitely worth the money.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Harley43147
Tourer

Get the chaps. The're worth it. Who cares what others think....

Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by eaheritage
wear anything that keeps you warm,,, cold weather riding is survival in my book, i shake my head at those who get riding & fashion shows mixed up...
I agree!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Carharts Overalls, but they're IN STYLE in Montana from September to April... What fashion Police?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Under Armor Base 3.0 underwear tops and bottom...and a pair of lined jeans..your good to go.....anytime, anywhere, very warm.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I think too many people watching too many Cannon commercials! Image is nothing! I think if you are worried about image you need to have you Harley taken away. Wear what works! Period.... I had to wear my girls sun glasses once and I think it was more of a kick getting the strange looks from joe public! My favorite on was when Mr homophobic was cringing in the car next to me. So I blew him a kiss and the a$$ almost got crushed by a truck because I guess I struck a nerve and he tried to make a right on red to escape my advances! Life is to be enjoyed so like I said, get what works and stay worm.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
I work nights and have a 35 mile ride home on the freeway between 1am and 2am and it is starting to get cold. Low 50's and will be in the 40's soon. Not sure I dig chaps, so does anyone have a suggestion as an alternative to keep the legs warm? If not, I guess I will be buyin me some azzless chaps .

Thanks

I bought a pair of tourmaster over pants. It came with 3 types of liners and can be worn over existing jeans. Also there is kevlar in the knee and shin area's. Its not these particular pants but along these lines:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=173&cat=4

This and the jacket allow me to ride late into November or until it starts snowing or black ice.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 10-22-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace07FXDL
Chaps are for riding horses. If or when you ever slide and roll around on the ground do you think chaps will protect you? Buy a set of leathers. Langlitz offers a great pair of westerns that will protect your 6.

Quote from the Langlitz website that will hopefully end the chaps fetish forever:

Many people have asked us about CHAPS. We do build them for those who really want that look, but we highly recommend wearing full coverage leather pants when riding a motorcycle. Chaps were designed for riding horses and do not work nearly as well as pants when riding a bike. They are harder to put on, limit you to wearing jeans beneath, cover your pockets, leak in the rain, and fail to adequately cover your butt. Simply put, cowboys do not fall off their horses and slide hundreds of feet on their butts!!! Order our Westerns instead. We think you will be much happier in the long run!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until I can afford the Langlitz pants I ordered a set of buffalo hide pants. No doubt NOT the quality of Langlitz but better than chaps.

Quick Reply: alternative to chaps???????