General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternative to chaps???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Now those I actually like... until I saw the price. Ouch!

Any price on a manufacturers site will be full retail. You can find pretty much anything at a discounted price if you look around (eBay, Froogle, Pricegrabber etc).

Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Lmao. I already told you I lived nearby you in Aberdeen once. It rained every single day I lived there, I swear.
Okay okay, it's raining now, it rained yesterday and it will rain tomorrow, the next day, the next week, the next 9 months. It's always f***ing raining here. We saw the sun last August but the marine layer came in and it got foggy and misty. Crap, I'm gonna move now 'cause of you!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a pair of Chilhowee overpants recently on sale and they look and fit just like jeans. They seem to be a good quality and they shipped the same day as I placed my order. I plan on wearing these year-round. Here's a link: http://www.chilhowee.net/leather-mot...061030001.html

Langlitz overpants are another one to consider as they are very high quality and made of thicker leather but they might be too warm to wear in the summer - I have tried on Langlitz overpants but have not bought a pair yet. I expect the Langlitz would be very nice for winter months. Also, Langlitz are custom made to order so you might have to wait several months before they ship your order. Also, the price of Langlitz is up there a bit, but I guess you have to pay a bit more for high quality. Here's a link: http://www.langlitz.com/

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

When it's real cold and I want to ride I get out my snowmobile suit (I don't have snowmobile) and snowmobile mittens. Between the 2 I am toasty down to close to zero. My face is another story. I don't look "cool", but I sure am warm.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
spike95
Road Master

I have a pair of chaps, but I hardly ever use them because they are kind of a pain to put on and take off and I have actually seen people laughing at them when I wore them out to a bar one time. As an alternative, the Langlitz western leather pants look really nice, but I am pretty sure they are far out of my price range. What I usually do is layer a pair of thin silk thermal pants with another heavy pair of thermals over them and then my jeans. Of course boots and heavy socks are a must too. This is generally good down into the 40s. I wear the same combination of thermals under my jacket too. If it's getting into the lower 40s, I'll still reluctantly put on my chaps. I know that doesn't sound very cold to a lot of you, but I guarantee it is magnified by our humid climate here.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Tourmaster overpants. They have a zip out inner liner that can be removed when it is not freezing. Also have armor padding in the knees. Good stuff.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
palehorse
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beercan321
I wear these

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/men...rangerpant.htm

They might not be acceptable to the HD fashion police but I don’t care. The insulated liner keeps me warm in cool weather. It can be removed in the summer so the pants can be used for wet weather riding. I think the pants are a more versatile alternative to leather chaps.
Have you had any problems with the nylon in those pants melting next to the exhaust?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by palehorse
Have you had any problems with the nylon in those pants melting next to the exhaust?
No problems.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Chaps are nice, but if you really want to keep warm (and dry), get some textile overpants.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just came back from a trip around Lake Michigan and had the same issues. Not really into the chap thing, but it was 28 degrees when leaving Escanaba.
I had body armour on, long underwear and then put on the chaps.Stayed warm with no problem. The nice thing is the chaps can be removed pretty easy. Upper layers the same way.As the day warmed up I could peel off the layers. Just that the chaps are a pain to get on, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: alternative to chaps???????