General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternative to chaps???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 AM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gerbing's heated overpants...you'll never be cold again...I also have the Firstgear 2.0 overpants as well, which work great in the "not so cold" temps (above 50)...just depends on your tolerence to cold...I don't have any :-)

Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Long johns, jeans and chaps work to keep my 'azzless' skinny bod comfortable, and we ride down into the 20's. Combo has worked for decades.
Don't like azzlss chaps? Well, then don't ride with me. Your loss.
Some of the guys up here, have opted for wearing leather 'bib overalls', some with thermal lining. They LOVE 'em, because it keeps the cold air off your back where the 'gap' would be between chaps and jacket. Not sure where all you can get them, maybe Google 'em. ??????

Old 10-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear these

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/men...rangerpant.htm

They might not be acceptable to the HD fashion police but I don’t care. The insulated liner keeps me warm in cool weather. It can be removed in the summer so the pants can be used for wet weather riding. I think the pants are a more versatile alternative to leather chaps.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser

Buy a pair of sweatpants. I keep a pair in my saddlebag and they work perfect down to about 40 degrees. Wal-Mart--$5.00

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
But what will protect his 7?
I have a 10.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
I wear these

They might not be acceptable to the HD fashion police but I don’t care. The insulated liner keeps me warm in cool weather. It can be removed in the summer so the pants can be used for wet weather riding. I think the pants are a more versatile alternative to leather chaps.
I need layers. Might start out cold in the morning and get really warm in the afternoon. I can take my chaps off when I get too warm.

Whatever I use, it would have to be layered over my jeans.

I also carry a lightweight pair of rain pants which cut the wind when it's not too cold, and keep me dry when it's warm but wet.

$.02

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,578 Likes on 5,090 Posts

Under Armor Thermal underwear works wonders here in So Cal...to the guys that wear assless chaps.......it's just wrong

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Beercan321
Tourer

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I need layers. Might start out cold in the morning and get really warm in the afternoon. I can take my chaps off when I get too warm.

Whatever I use, it would have to be layered over my jeans.

I also carry a lightweight pair of rain pants which cut the wind when it's not too cold, and keep me dry when it's warm but wet.

$.02
I wear them as over-pants. They have zippers along both legs so they can be easily removed and put in a saddle bag. I like them better than chaps because they are basically 3 pants in one. I can wear the insulated waterproof liner by itself, I can wear the thin outer shell by itself or I can wear them both together (over my jeans).

Bottom line: Wear what you like and what fits you best

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear a pair of snowboard pants over my work slacks, typically with thermals under that. The snowboard pants are wind resitant. I cant stand chaps, they havent moved from the closet in about 5 years (which was when I tried the snowboard pants)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
I wear these

Now those I actually like... until I saw the price. Ouch!
I usually ride till it gets down under 32 degrees (which doesn't happen much around here) and my legs really don't get cold with thermal underwear and jeans, it's my face and hands that get cold. I bought a neoprene face mask and that took care of my face but I still need some good cold weather riding gloves.

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I have a 10.
Damn bragger

Quick Reply: alternative to chaps???????