General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm thinking specifically of one intersection we have here where not having turn signals in front at night could kill you. It is a "T" intersection, with the top of the T running east and west, and the leg of the T running N/S. Coming from the west, the state road you are on actually turns left, or NORTH, onto the leg of the T . If you go straight east through the intersection the road number changes as you go onto a county road. The drivers headed west on that county road have the stop sign as it hits the state highway.

Sitting at that stop sign, drivers unfamiliar with the intersection could assume that an oncoming vehicle without turn signals on is going to go straight, not turn left in front of them. This intersection as been the site of numerous accidents when east traveling vehicles don't use their turn signals, and turn left in front of the west bound cars who don't stay stopped.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-12-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: edited to change south to NORTH. sorry !
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,521 Likes on 8,458 Posts

Ride your own ride..........That's what I say.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Riding my '06 Low Rider, 5:30 in the afternoon. Guy in a Dodge pickup turns left in front of me and I t-bone him.

I don't remember the wreck so i didn't hear his lame excuse. I'm sure it was "I didn't see him". I ride a '07 Heritage Classic Softail now. Lots of light up front. I have even modified the driving lights to stay on when the high beam is on. Thinking about the light modulators for the driving lights.

Getting to old for knocks like that. Ride Safe!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure so I may be wrong but I think in Ca. you can't take them off.
Only bikes allowed are the ones built before a certain year

Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 AM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 1972 my new XLH was the last year that the Sportster came without them, so 1973 and above require them. The original owner of my FXST had Arlen Ness customize the bike in 1990 and they were taken off. I bought my FXST in 1999 and never felt the need to put them back on. I have been pulled over for other things in the past, but so far no officer has noticed them not being on the bike. Personally I like how clean the bike looks without them and I am willing to take my chances not having any.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
Easier and safer would have been to move them to the lower triple tree and put visors on them. Then you can't see the 'pumpkin glow'. But when you put one on anyone in front of you 'might' have a bit more warning that your thinking about making a turn. Especially at night when they can't see your hand signals too well.
As for leaving the wire ends exposed by just cutting them and tucking them out of sight. You might be in for an unpleasant surprise when you try hooking them back up in a couple of months or more for inspection and they have corroded. Then trying to solder them properly might not be very easy, or even possible and crimp connectors can't seem to make a decent electrical connection.
If your going to leave them the way you have them now I suggest you put a small little blob of nail polish, enough to completely cover the ends to seal them off from the elements.
Cause even if you never ride in the rain, humidity in the air and washing the bike will get the wires wet enough to make corrosion a major headache later.
You missed this part from my first post - "Taped the ends, ...". Been in the electrical/electronics/instrumentation field for 37 years; ain't gonna catch me on that one!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like a good working idea to me poco.
The signal visors would also be a good alternative. I put some on my Sporty and you can't see the orange at all anymore

Old 10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
Back in 1972 my new XLH was the last year that the Sportster came without them, so 1973 and above require them. The original owner of my FXST had Arlen Ness customize the bike in 1990 and they were taken off. I bought my FXST in 1999 and never felt the need to put them back on. I have been pulled over for other things in the past, but so far no officer has noticed them not being on the bike. Personally I like how clean the bike looks without them and I am willing to take my chances not having any.
Ahh, an attitude I like! Thanks for posting 'cause I was starting to look for the Gold Wing posts!

My first bike, 1972 XLCH, came without them. And I removed them from my 1978 FLH; never had an "inspection" issue with it. Left them on my 1987 FLST, but pulled the back ones in close to the fender, and used some tiny marker lights I found in a truck stop for the front; no inspection issues. Rebuilding the FLST and using bullet combo tail/brake/turn light in the rear, and a Pro One setup below the trees in the front.

Bottom line on this is that it's my bike. I'll modify it as I want, and ride it that way. Been doing that for 35+ years. Never had a stock bike, except this Nightster. And that is starting to change, and I don't mean by bolting on chrome junque.

Mostly the original post was stuck up here because I thought it pretty good engineering that the T/S module self-adapted to a change in resistance. Heck, sometimes even HD gets it right! I am well aware of the possible consequences of my actions. But it don't require a Nanny to point out the obvious. When I want advice, I ask for it. When I want to hear some preachin', I go to church.

Said earlier that it's my responsibility to make a safe turn. Can I do that without turn signals? When I decide I can't I'll hand the bike off to someone who deserves it, then lay down and die.

Some of y'all can comment all you want, but all I'm hearing is noise. Seems like the joint has gotten way too "correct", and is getting overpopulated by motorsickle Pharisees.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
sounds like a good working idea to me poco.
The signal visors would also be a good alternative. I put some on my Sporty and you can't see the orange at all anymore
Visors are for hats. How's the weather up yonder, Schu?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

very summer like. I'm sure that'll change soon tho

Quick Reply: Front Turn Signal Removal