General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Nightster a bad first bike?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:45 AM
00Chevy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Nightster a bad first bike?????

Ive been Sand Drag Racing ATV's for about 5 years. Ive rode a few harley's and have always wanted one. I have a couple questions for you guys to determine if this is a smart choice for a first bike not having hardly any experience on the road on a bike. I've been told because of the small lightwieght design of the sportster that its a dangerous bike because of a lack in handling. My mother a few years back tried to buy a sportster and the salesmen would'nt sell her a sportster because he said they are dangerous and he does'nt sell them to woman. I got approved for a 09 Nightster yesterday but wanted to think it over this weekend before I go ahead and make the purchase. Basically Im wanted to know if this is a safe bike for a first time rider? Is its handling dangerous?

Thanks alot,
Ryan

Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
vega823
Road Master

Buying a Harley is like buying a suit. Each one is tailored for the individual. Visit a few dealerships and chat with the sales folks about your riding style and which model will make you the most comfortable. Then go to a demo day at the dealership, or rent a couple of different models to confirm that you have the right "fit".
Takes some time, but you will be sure that you got the right model for YOU.
Good luck!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
thetick1959
Cruiser

No one can answer that question but you. An msf course would be right for you also.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan, All bikes can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing. The Sportster is no more dangerous than any other bike. I don't know where you heard that the Sportster does not handle well, as it is one of the best handling HD's in the lineup. Take a safety course and as vega823 said, ride before you buy. Good luck!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Chevy
Ive been Sand Drag Racing ATV's for about 5 years. Ive rode a few harley's and have always wanted one. I have a couple questions for you guys to determine if this is a smart choice for a first bike not having hardly any experience on the road on a bike. I've been told because of the small lightwieght design of the sportster that its a dangerous bike because of a lack in handling. My mother a few years back tried to buy a sportster and the salesmen would'nt sell her a sportster because he said they are dangerous and he does'nt sell them to woman.
That is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A sportster is small, light and fast - that makes it a great handling, nimble bike. What kind or retard salesman refuses to sell somebody a product anyhow? My guess is he just doesn't like women who ride - after all, the typical insult to Sportsters is that it's a girl's bike.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rent one first or take a good test drive. MSF course a must.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some people the Sporty isn't as good a starter bike as maybe a softtail, only because of the center of gravity. Sportys handle great, but have a higher center of gravity than some of the bigger HD's making them a little easier to dump at low speeds or at a stop. This is where the confusion about a Sporty not being a good starter bike comes from. I started out on a Fatboy and had no problems, but some dont want to spend that money on a first bike. Ultimately its up to you.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Slaps
Road Master

I just bought my first bike a few months ago and it's a nightster. No problems yet. I didn't even drive it home from the dealership (wife would not let me touch it until I had taken the class), my dad did (he has a street bob). He was shocked at how well it rode and handled.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I agree with what 1Coastie said. Most of the misconception of the Sporty being a "bad" starter bike is the high center of gravity. In that it's more like a sportbike (center of gravity being high).

If you are really that concerned, get a used metric bike to really get the feel for road/street riding, and then upgrade when you feel comfortable. That way if/when you take a dump, it won't hurt your wallet as much as all that chrome on a brand spankin new Harley!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
rak1
Tourer

I've always wanted to ride since I was a kid but my mom, girlfriends, and ex wife’s told me I would kill myself so I never rode until I turned 45 this year. I got remarried last year and my new wife has the same dream, but as a passenger only. I bought a 2008 Softail Custom 105th edition and then took the MSF course last month riding a Buell 500cc Blast. I've been riding for a month now and have had no problems whatsoever; I found the smaller bike was nowhere as stable and as nice as the Softail with the forward controls, I have leg room now but I’m ‘6’3 so that makes a big difference if your tall it helps to get a bigger scoot.. My thinking was I wanted to get what I wanted at the end so I don't have to upgrade and loose money in trade-ins. I think because I've always been into drag racing, etc it helped me learn how to ride a bike since balance and control is something you have to know to be competitive, Also I use to race a rail and they like to dance going down the track Good luck in whatever you choose and like everyone says keep the shiny side up....

Quick Reply: Is a Nightster a bad first bike?????