General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Nightster a bad first bike?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Fear Night
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Lack of handling" in a Sportster? HAHAHA.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:46 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i think you should try being realistic. everyone drops their first bike. how much do you want to spend on this mistake?

get a beater. abuse it. have fun. next year, try a few bikes on. don't buy eye-candy.

I'm on my third, smallest being a 750 Honda, and I haven't dropped one yet.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:02 PM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I'm on my third, smallest being a 750 Honda, and I haven't dropped one yet.
You know what they say. There are two types of riders. Those that have gone down and those that are going down. If you haven't yet, you will.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Sputnik Steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by vega823
This is actually pretty good advice. If you are a beginner (like me), you WILL drop it (at least once), and you will cry (like I did), and you will pay with your hard-earned cash for repairs and new parts (like I did).
Here is the kicker - if I had to do it all over again - I would still have bought a new scoot. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer - but surely the one with the biggest smile on his face cruisin' down the road!!!
I think this is nonsense. I am now on my second bike and have yet to drop either one. I have come close, but not actually laid it down.

I'll tell you what else, I am not going to drop this one or any of the future ones either. I think to say you will do it indefinitely is ridiculous. Whats wrong with having a little faith in your own ability to protect your ride?

It's simple: Pay attention to what you are doing at all times, Don't ride beyond your means, don't let your idiot friends ride it, don't drink and ride, use your F'ing head.

Just because you can't handle your machine, sure as hell doesn't mean that I can't handle mine. My dad laid his down on a simple turn around at 3 mph a couple weeks after buying it. He was not following my advice.

I bet you would make damn sure you were careful enough not to drop your kid on his head while a baby. Why can't you take that same care for your vehicles?

Vega this is not directed solely at you, please don't take it as an attack. This is just to the negative nancys in general.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally would buy something like a Shadow 750 to practice on for a season, then get the Harley

Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maskedstranger
You know what they say. There are two types of riders. Those that have gone down and those that are going down. If you haven't yet, you will.
Could be, but I know plenty of people who never have.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:29 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 AM
FXDHippie
6th Gear

My girlfreind took the MSF course,got licensed,we bought a 750 Shadow ACE she dropped it a couple times(bike was physically too big for her).Went to HD to get an oil filter for me and just look at bikes.........she fell in love with the Nightster(orange and Black).Financing went through...absolutely LOVES it..Has not dropped it...I have taken it a couple times and it goes like a raped ape ...Nightster is the same dimensions as an 883L(seat height ) and actually lighter in weight.1200cc Fuel innj. is very reliable

Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maskedstranger
Bull$hit...

Charlie D.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i think you should try being realistic. everyone drops their first bike. how much do you want to spend on this mistake?

get a beater. abuse it. have fun. next year, try a few bikes on. don't buy eye-candy.
I'm on my second bike, (traded in the first one) and have never dropped my bike 27000 miles on this one and 6000 on the first one, so the statement "everyone drops their first bike" is not always true. I'm careful, and I've almost dropped it a few times. Since I said that, I will probably drop it today. (Knock on wood)
Anyway, just wanted to point out that not everbody will drop their first bike.

Quick Reply: Is a Nightster a bad first bike?????