General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused Canadian

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Confused Canadian

Hi, My wife and I are looking to purchase 2 new Harleys. We have some important decisions to make first. I hope someone hear can assist me with this . In Canada, Calgary being where I live there is an old and very reputable dealer close to my house which sells Harleys at a price that is acceptable for the economics of our oil fed city. I can purchase 2 bikes from a dealer in California for 8000 dollars less for both machines. What would be the advantage of buying locally as opposed to going into the USA to bring them back here to Calgary ? Would our warranty,s be accepted home ? Would we be shunned at any Canadian dealership? Whats to stop a whole bunch of us crazy canucks from pouring over the border to buy up all those bikes that are just sitting there because of the economic crisis in the US? Is there some law that forbids this?
I know that here Fred Deeley Dist. basically has a monopoly on Harley sales in Canada , I have no problem with that but I just want to know is it better for me to go local or stateside? Thankyou.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 PM
blueridgerider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that while there is not a law that forbids it, there are laws that make it a whole lot of hassle. There are surely some others that know more.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in White Rock BC which is 3 miles from the US border. The dealerships in northern Washington state will not sell bikes to Canadians, they won't do it. Perhaps the situation will be different with this Cali dealer. As for buying and bringing across, you'd have top pay duty etc I believe and how much will you be saving then? As for dealerships shunning your bike, a bike is a bike, as long as its a Harley, they should be able to do most work on it. The question is: do you want to support your own dealer because you will need them eventually for service etc...my 2 cents

Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't want a bike from CA, they have all sorts of emission modifications.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I understand, There's an agreement between Fred Deeley of Canada and Washington state dealers, in that they( Washington Dealers) won't sell new bikes, but sell used bikes and parts to Canadians. Not sure about California though. Best to Phone and ask their policy on that one. I have a couple of riding buds that have bought used from the states with no hassle at all, just have to have all the right paper work together. Can't answer the warranty question though, you'd have to check with the dealer.

Cheers,
BCC

Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain

By the way, Its Trev Deeley and they have the distribution rights to all of Canada for HD.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

seems to me that the duty fee would kill you but what do I know? Call the dealers.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I thought the North America free trade agreement allowes for duty free if a product is made in the US or Canada.
Also my sister can buy the bikes for me,in CALI. register them in her name cross the border with me and sell em back to me for a buck. I think it would work, could it?
Stripping off emission controls is easy to do also.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

I'm not sure there's any duty payable at all since the Harleys are so-called American, but you will have to pay GST and any paperwork fees to import it. (you should escape CA state tax on the purchase, and CDN PST since you live in AB)
You must be gettin' a 'smokin' deal in California, 'cause there isn't a huge diff right now between US prices in WA and our prices. (our $ is a wee bit down right now though) There's only about a $2000 diff. between an Ultra in WA vs. BC)
I trust you've done your homework, 'cause if you get nailed for something you weren't aware of it could blow the savings.

I don't know about Harley, but I've heard some stories about folks who bought Beemers in the states who are at the Canadian dealer's mercy when getting them serviced up here.

CN

Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridgerider
My understanding is that while there is not a law that forbids it, there are laws that make it a whole lot of hassle. There are surely some others that know more.
Incorrect.

Quick Reply: Confused Canadian