General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable has Perplexed Me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 AM
d42s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable has Perplexed Me?

I have an 05 Road King and was cleaning the right side (brake side) frame down tube from the steering head. There was some grime behind where the zap strap holds the cable to the frame by the cross member (where I supose you mount an oil cooler).

So I cut off the zap strap, clean up the frame and put a new zap strap on the same way. I thought. Every thing looks great, nice and clean.

But then when I sit on the bike the suspension compresses and I notice the cable is now touching the back side of the front fender?Then when I turn the handle bar left and right it rubs the fender good? [:@]

What the HE-double hockey sticks happened? Any body have a photo of what it should look like?

Must have spent 2 hours and 50 zap straps trying to find the sweet spot.

I finally had to zap the cable to the down tube frame on the other side farther up to keep it away from the fender and from rubbing the front brake line now too?

Any help will be most appreciated?

Perplexed in Canuck Land.

DUH !!!!!! Was just looking at the RD King that slide out on the curve during his wave and realized I got my engine guard off right now while I've been storing it for winter in my basement and they hold back the cable from the fender........duh, duh, duh...[sm=headbang.gif]
Steve.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch Cable has Perplexed Me?

I don't have a picture but I know exactly what your talking about. If you get a cable clamp and mount it just above the cowbell this will provide more stability on the cable when you zip strap the cable at the lower point of the frame. I seen my mechanic do it to a RK just the other week. I hope this help.