General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about heated vest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question about heated vest?

I bought a heated liner from http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com and I'm not sure if it's working properly. Some of you might laugh but I expected to feel the heat from the liner when I plug it in and I don't. I don't have a temperature controller yet. I changed the fuse to a 10 amp which is more than enough for one liner. I wish there was a light to show me that it's working.

Now for the laughing part: I live in Canada and the temperature was less than 50 degrees this evening. I wanted to feel cold so I took off my windshield and went out for a ride with only a windbreaker over the liner (no leather). My fingers were numb, my eyes and nose were running and I still didn't feel cold. Maybe I didn't need to buy the heated liner?????

But seriously, how long does it take before the liner heats up? Are we supposed to feel the heat when you touch it? Is there anyway I can test that the power is reaching the liner?

Thanks.

Last edited by Softail Girl; 10-07-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They heat up almost instantly.
They should be warm, not hot.
They need to fit snug against your body to work best.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Linda, I agree with the other poster, the vest needs to feel snug against your body and it should feel warm within 2-3 minutes of you riding with it on. I wear mine over a tshirt or long sleeved shirt and then another layer (hoodie) or leather jacket over top. If you don't feel warm after 2-3 mins riding, bring it back.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are running the liner straight to the battery with no thermostat you should feel the heat within minutes of powering it up.
Try this: If you run the vest material through your fingers you should feel where the heating wires run through it. Hook it up to the battery while the bike is in the garage. The bike doesn't need to be running. You should feel that heating wire begin to get warm in just a minute or so. If it doesn't, you either have a problem with the vest, or a problem with how you have it wired.
Since you onlyhad the vest on with no jacket over it on a 50 degree day I'm not surprised that it didn't make you feel warm. The heat all radiated out. THe electric clothing works best if worn over a light shirt and under an insulated jacket

Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Bought wife a Widder heated vest. Best thing since sliced bread! She wore it for 2 years, then bought a full electric jacket liner.

Myth, thermostats only regulate the temperature by turning the jacket on and off. They run at full power, then off, then on again. She has a manual switch on hers. Turn it on till she is warm and toasty, then turn it off. You need to wear it as closly to your body as possible, with a jacket to keep the heat in. Needs to be a little snug to be most affective. It is just wires inside that heat up.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing...don't wear too much under the liner, you need to layer over it. One layer of clothing under the liner is enough, or your clothing will insulate your body from the heat. FYI, my Gerbings vest liner (which I thing is the brand that the outlet sells) can zip all the way up to the chin, so there's vest against bare skin up there. You'll definitely feel the heat on your chin if the vest is working, especially since you don't have a temp. controller which means your vest is always at full throttle.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
Now for the laughing part: I live in Canada and the temperature was less than 50 degrees this evening. I wanted to feel cold so I took off my windshield and went out for a ride with only a windbreaker over the liner (no leather). My fingers were numb, my eyes and nose were running and I still didn't feel cold. Maybe I didn't need to buy the heated liner?????

Thanks.
Ok.... help me out here....you had the liner on.... your fingers were numb, eyes and nose were running..... and you didn't feel cold?

sounds to me.... that the liner was working ok....

I agree about layers.... with MY Gerbing Jacket liner, I wear a cotton turtle neck,(the collar wears against my neck) and then the liner. than my jacket... and I'm toasty

Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Chrizzby
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a "Gerbing" heated jacket. I wear a thin long sleeve shirt and then my leather, I also have the T- Stat for it - comfort reasons. I read in the directions not to keep it on while the bike is not running, it could drain the bikes battery ant then you would be stuck. Don't want that now. As far as the heat i usully feel in with in 15 to 30 seconds then I tone down the stat. Enjoy the cooler riding season.............Chris

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Bought wife a Widder heated vest. Best thing since sliced bread! She wore it for 2 years, then bought a full electric jacket liner.

Myth, thermostats only regulate the temperature by turning the jacket on and off. They run at full power, then off, then on again. She has a manual switch on hers. Turn it on till she is warm and toasty, then turn it off. You need to wear it as closly to your body as possible, with a jacket to keep the heat in. Needs to be a little snug to be most affective. It is just wires inside that heat up.
The thermostat regulates heat by use of a rheostat which regulates the output voltage to the liner, thus raising or lowering the heat output of the coils, which remains constant. It does not turn on and off. Been wearing Gerbing stuff for 4 years and love it.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was in the high 30's and I was not hot but my legs were cold. Maybe I should turn it up to warm my legs with my vest.

Quick Reply: Question about heated vest?