General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about heated vest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Believe me when I say, get the temperature controller. I find that I'm always turning mine down. I can't imagine running full blast all the time.
After riding with it for 40 minutes, I have to agree with you! That will be my next purchase.
Thanks!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by priceamp
So does this mean you are happy buying through the outlet store?
I am happy. I live to ride but I live for bargains too. The outlet sells the liner for $89 and the Gerbing store asks for $199. Gerbing still guarantees the electric components for life.
It's music to my ears!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
I am happy. I live to ride but I live for bargains too. The outlet sells the liner for $89 and the Gerbing store asks for $199. Gerbing still guarantees the electric components for life.
It's music to my ears!
Thanks for turning us on to the outlet website. Seems like every year I tolerate the cold less and less. So I was going to break down and buy a heated liner and gloves soon. For me, I’ve never heard of this place. And I too love a bargain. Their website says there stuff might have a minor flaw or be slightly used, but will be functional. I don’t care about flaws or slightly used and with the jacket liner, nobody is going to see it anyway if you wear it under your jacket. Could you detect a flaw with your liner you bought?
Jack

Old 10-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain

You must be a Sens fan....

Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by priceamp
Thanks for turning us on to the outlet website.
LOL

Could you detect a flaw with your liner you bought?
Jack
No flaws that I can see. I'm pretty sure that it's last year's model if I look at the pictures on the Gerbing's web site because the little pockets to store the connectors for the gloves don't have zippers. Other than that, it looks the same.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lamo70
You must be a Sens fan....
I will let you know after I put my bike away for the winter. I haven't turned on a TV or the radio since I got my bike in May...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
I will let you know after I put my bike away for the winter. I haven't turned on a TV or the radio since I got my bike in May...
Wow, impressive...

You work on your own bike ride when it's cold.

Agree with PT, a great big ATTAGIRL....

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I'd just be leary of the company because they say "All sales final". If you have a problem, it's really YOUR problem. I'm just not a gambler I guess.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
frogwash
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation of Temp-Troller

Wecroft Said ..

"The thermostat regulates heat by use of a rheostat which regulates the output voltage to the liner, thus raising or lowering the heat output of the coils, which remains constant. It does not turn on and off. Been wearing Gerbing stuff for 4 years and love it."

If it in fact it is a "Heat-Troller" brand.... here is how it works... (this is straight from the troubleshooting website...)

It Ain't No Rheostat! So, just what is the Heat-troller™, heated clothing controller?

The Heat-troller™ is a DC (direct current), power controller designed for heated clothing, blankets, pads and other heated products that are powered by a battery. You can think of the Heat-troller™ as a dimmer switch for your heated products. It has a positive off and provides a full range of heat that is constant at any setting, just as a light dimmer switch gives you constant light at different levels.
The Heat-Troller is a pulse-width modulated controller with a 1 second cycle time. That means that over a 1 second period, the power is turned on from about 10% to 100% of the time, adjustable with the **** on the controller. When the power is turned on, full power is applied to the load. In the example given, if the heated grip are 16 Watts each and the Heat-Troller is adjusted to 50%, the grips will get 16 Watts for half a second, then no power for half a second, giving an average of 8 Watts of power. The Heat-Troller is more efficient than a rheostat because it makes very little wasted heat when turned on. For two 16 Watt grips, the Heat-Troller makes less than 0.1 Watts of heat at 50%. A rheostat would make about 16 Watts of wasted heat at the same 50% setting.

My wife thought it took too long to heat up her gloves with this unit. I brought it to work and had one of our techs test it... that is when we discovered it actually does "pulse"...!