General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cornering question (almost went down)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008 | 07:42 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Is counter steering now the norm? While in the military I had to attend "motorcycle defensive driving course" once every three years. Everytime the course instructor taught counter steering as an evasive maneuver to avoid objects in the road, i.e. critters, stuff falling off vehicles in front of you, stuff like that. Re-evaluate your techniques and practice.
Well, the MSF teaches to use counter steering independent of body movement for an emergency swerve (keep body upright, bike leans).

For standard corners you will "push" (among other things) the handlebars in the direction you want to go. That still uses counter steering, but you lean with the bike this time.

I'm interested to know how you turn your bike without counter steering; I assume they just called it something different.

Last edited by Fear Night; 10-09-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2008 | 07:51 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by Worlok
Hell I've got enough sense to know that my 14 cant out perform an R6 in the twisties and really dont care. But I do know that Harleys corner like crap next to even a sport touring bike. You just have to be careful on 900 pounds of steel. Yeah they will corner, but that's not what i would call good at cornering. Keep pushing it and you will see!
You would be surprised what a Sportster could do, my friend.