Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cornering question (almost went down)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Of course you can counter steer, or lean, too much. Especially at 35-40 mph. And you cannot always accelerate out of it. That works pretty good on dirt tracks where you will see the riders going through a left turn with the wheel cranked to the right but on the pavement, you lean too far over and you are going down.

As for your front end breaking loose, if it did, that is a simple matter of losing traction. Probably as others have said, you were partially on your sidewall and not on your tread.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

You cannot take a corner without countersteering except at very slow speeds, when you turn the handle bars into the turn. Conscious countersteering is knowing you are doing it, but whether or not you understand it, any in-line two wheeled vehicle turns by countersteering.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever made the front end slip is a mystery all right. My guess would be something on the road that was small enough not to be noticeable, but enough to cause momentary traction loss. A little liquid like A/C condensation maybe. But I believe the real bullet you dodged was putting your foot down at 35 mph and getting away with it. It was probably an automatic reaction like many of us do. My dirt riding experience got that into my head and I've spent the last few years trying to un-learn that.
Glad you made it OK to tell us about it though. Always great discussion material to benefit us all.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Volfan615
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Maybe you should have kept your body a little more upright. Perhaps you leaned too much to the low side of the bike.
No leaning to the inside will DECREASE your lean angle. Less lean angle more traction.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Volfan615
Tourer

Originally Posted by EasternSP
You said that you countersteered. That is usually for making a quick tweek of the handlebars to avoid something on the road.
Your serious?? At anything about 12-15 mph you are always countersteering. Not just serving to avoid something on the road.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

I was referring to countersteering as a way of initiating my turn which is done all the time regardless if you know it or not (I wasn't trying to avoid anything). I was conciously pushing on that left grip to get lower and deeper into the turn. As far a putting the foot down that was an instant reaction to me going down (from the old MX days I guess). Good thing I had some decent boots.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 PM
walkamile
Advanced

Yes... countersteer too far and the bike will lay over. Anyone who thinks they are not countersteering when turning at road speed are misinformed. Snapping the throttle shut in a turn will also make the bike want to fall over. The moving wheels have a gyroscopic effect.

1. Were your tires any different that day than the other days you went around it?
2. Did you take the corner any differently than the other times you've taken it?
3. Did some cage puke a little oil on that corner in that one spot an hour or two before you took that corner?
If you know the answers to #1 and #2 then I'm betting it was something like #3. Don't forget about the variables you have no control over... like road conditions.. seen or not seen.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
Front barke a no no while leaned over. It will stand the bike up immediatelly.
If you get on it hard. A little bit of front brake works. Dragging the back is much more effective in a turn though.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
You said that you countersteered. That is usually for making a quick tweek of the handlebars to avoid something on the road. Doing this kinda makes the rear end fish tail then track to the side that you pushed on.
Nope. Countersteering is what gets you through the curve. Quit countersteering and the bike stands back up. Yes, you do also use countersteering in an evasive maneuver.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
straitshot151
Tourer

My best advise is to slow down

Quick Reply: Cornering question (almost went down)