General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversized Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 10:08 PM
homerandpooh
|
Tourer
Default Oversized Grips?

I have big hands and was wondering if anyone makes a bigger grip or thicker grip. This way I wouldn't have to close my hand around as tight to try and reduce hand fatigue. I was looking on the HD website and found these:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
They look like they may be slightly thicker. It could just be the picture though.

Old 10-06-2008 | 10:32 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

Multi fit page 579 in the '09 catalog, item H; Willie G Skull hand grips. The large is 1.6" diameter. That's the largest I could find in the Harley collection. 1.5 seems to be the standard size though there are a few at 1.3"

Old 10-06-2008 | 10:48 PM
JIMROOKIE
Cruiser

I had the nostalgic grips on my lastbike and they are larger than stock

Old 10-06-2008 | 10:54 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

I got the bigger round grips then stock and I like em 56285-98.the ones your looking at is 56006-88c I believe?They look the same as what I have except yours are cushion grips.

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:12 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

These are big, soft and very comfy. The cruise control version works very well. Pricey but worth it. One of the best mods i've done as far as comfort. FYI, the grips don't work on the FBW bikes but they will work on the others.
http://www.coolsac.com/Browse.aspx?category_code=GRIPS

Last edited by silvrbill; 10-06-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2008 | 11:14 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Most stealer/dealers around here have a display with handlebars and grips...you can wrap your hand around them and find the right fit...found mine that way, and have used the same style on my last 2 bikes...

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:22 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

+1 on the coolsac grips. They are larger than stock leather with a foam liner that helps eliminate vibrations.

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:29 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

You can also look into adding something like a Throttle Boss so you really don't have to wrap your hand around the grip at all. I don't have big hands, but I do have carpal tunnel and nerve damage in my wrists. Keeping my right hand wrapped around the throttle for any length of time (more than an hour or so) would make my hand go numb, and get painful eventually. I added the throttle boss to my ISO grips, and life is good.

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:36 PM
hdslam
Tourer

The only difference is in the clutch pull change. If you have a performance clutch and pack set up, there could be an issue w/ disengaging or engagement of the clutch. I have the 1.6" HOG grips, had them on for a few hundred miles and changed back to the stock grips.

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:34 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
You can also look into adding something like a Throttle Boss so you really don't have to wrap your hand around the grip at all. I don't have big hands, but I do have carpal tunnel and nerve damage in my wrists. Keeping my right hand wrapped around the throttle for any length of time (more than an hour or so) would make my hand go numb, and get painful eventually. I added the throttle boss to my ISO grips, and life is good.
+1 on the Throttle Boss...I picked up a Throttle Rocker and took it off after the first ride, just didn't work for me...heard a friend mention one day he had lost his TR and wanted another one...I gave him mine, and as a second thought, he took a Thottle Boss out of his saddlebag and said it hadn't fit his hand right...put it on my bike and been a happy camper since...

Quick Reply: Oversized Grips?