General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep what you got. Cause you no what you got. I woulden't do it. You can ride and enjoy yours. Tell him to put his togeather get it running then you might be interested. He won't go for it cause he got a pile of parts. Up date you asked for advice but you did not like the advice what can I say. May be im to old ive bought a few unassembled project cars a 68 Camaro ,67 GTO rag top and a 68 Vett back in the mid 70's to mid1980's these cars needed more then I thought cost me more money then if I bought Compleated ones. Used to look at the Vett in my garage never got it togeather needed money for the house and kids sold it. The Goat ran but just when I had it for two weeks. Railroad went on strike no money comming in sold it. The Camaro had to put more money in it then expected. Kept that one for a while but was not happy with it sold it.

Last edited by carlo; 10-07-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex0807
A little homework can tell a lot. My dad is going to go take a look at all of it without letting him know that he knows me. He's gonna see what all is there, see if the numbers match on the frame and engine, see if the title is clear and not salvage. If the bike was stolen and stripped, I think he would have sold off most of the parts a lot sooner. Bike has been apart for 8 years. If I jump in blindly I could very well get screwed. I figured that I would get this kind of reaction from this forum, all that gets talked about on here is when to shift, what color is your bike, your gay if you wear chaps and fingerless gloves. This forum used to have some good technical information, sharing what issues everyone was having with their bikes, but it has gotten a bit ridiculous. Just sayin.
My answer would be not no but "hell no"!!

You asked a question here, you got good advice and now your feelings are hurt and it's the forums fault, take the advice or trade bikes, if you get shafted I guess it's the forums fault too.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
grape ape
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there's a lot of silly threads on the forum, but a lot of good ones too with good information and good advice -- which is what you received. Take it or leave it.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
dex0807
Cruiser

Would it make a difference if it was black? I knew if I poked I would **** everyone off.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 AM
dex0807
Cruiser

I truely appreciate everyone's advice and I'm going to continue looking into it. Bottom line is I know what I got and I don't have to trade and I don't have to sell. If it don't feel right, it ain't happening.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex0807
A little homework can tell a lot. My dad is going to go take a look at all of it without letting him know that he knows me. He's gonna see what all is there, see if the numbers match on the frame and engine, see if the title is clear and not salvage. If the bike was stolen and stripped, I think he would have sold off most of the parts a lot sooner. Bike has been apart for 8 years. If I jump in blindly I could very well get screwed. I figured that I would get this kind of reaction from this forum, all that gets talked about on here is when to shift, what color is your bike, your gay if you wear chaps and fingerless gloves. This forum used to have some good technical information, sharing what issues everyone was having with their bikes, but it has gotten a bit ridiculous. Just sayin.
Well, NOT all of us are skeptics and lost. I'd be doing JUST what you are. ONLY I'd be the one checkin' it out. 3-4 hour ride, check ALL the goods out. I'd take my comp. tester along, and turn the crank to see what it had static. LOOK at what else he has 'round. YOU can tell in a heartbeat, if he is a 'stolen' kinda guy. My take. It is an opportunity to begin a GREAT build, without tearing a 'whole' scoot apart, to start.
Is it worth trading yours across the board for? NO frikkin' idea, til I saw what he had.
PLUS, he may very well be a decent guy, and low and behold, you actually have something in common, and become friends, or at least, parts partners, in the future. I NEVER turn down an opportunity, til I know 'exactly' what the WHOLE thing is. But that's JMFUO. IF you are a 'majority' rules peep, then don't even have your Dad waste his time, as the 'majority' have already spoken here.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Dang Gumby I'm a skeptic and lost,, hey the fellow asked for and got advice, you gave yours, not bad advice we all have different opinions sometimes.

Personally I would never trade a runner for a basket case without some boot but that's just me, basket case with all the correct parts still requires many hours to put back together,,, gotta load and haul all the chit home then unload all the chit and hope you have everything, and if you got burnt,, well too late,,,,,,,, I've seen some basket cases that were a bargain and some that were a nightmare such as Carlo has,,,,, so what if someone is a skeptic,, it still shouldn't be reason for someone who asks for advice to diss the forum and the members that gave the advice that he asked for. JMHO

Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John TN
Dang Gumby I'm a skeptic and lost,, hey the fellow asked for and got advice, you gave yours, not bad advice we all have different opinions sometimes.

Personally I would never trade a runner for a basket case without some boot but that's just me, basket case with all the correct parts still requires many hours to put back together,,, gotta load and haul all the chit home then unload all the chit and hope you have everything, and if you got burnt,, well too late,,,,,,,, I've seen some basket cases that were a bargain and some that were a nightmare such as Carlo has,,,,, so what if someone is a skeptic,, it still shouldn't be reason for someone who asks for advice to diss the forum and the members that gave the advice that he asked for. JMHO

DOH!! Well, John, I HAD posted whilst you were postin', so YOU don't count. (As in, included) NICE save Gumby, nice SAVE. Bwahahahaha
Labor? That's why I charge DEALER prices, so that I can 'believe' my labor costs is zero.
Oh, never mind, John. It's rainin' and I are bored. Jus' pot stirrin' for a change.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I hear ya Gump, I just wanted the OP to know why I said "hell no", it's trying to rain here some now, winds blowing, acorns are slamming the house, and I've got some work to do, going to look at a basket case,,,,,,,, J/K.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another way to say it John is...

If it looks like ****, smells like ****, then it probably is.

Quick Reply: I need some advice