General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!

Here are a couple of links to a story about a Purdue University ROTC student that was killed when ran over by a semi. Both were setting at a red light, light turns green, student kills bike, trucker runs over and kills biker. Trucker says he did not see bike and is punished with a $130 fine. What does everyone here think?

Story: http://www.wlfi.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu591_3
No criminal charges in fatal motorcycle accident

Updated: Oct 2, 2008 02:59 PM CDT

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A truck driver has been issued a traffic citation, but will not face criminal charges, in connection with a motorcycle accident that left a 19 year old Purdue student dead.

47 year old John Stillabower, of Indianapolis, was driving the semi that drove over Bradley Trifone's motorcycle at the intersection of U.S. 52 and Teal Road on September 23. It was Trifone's 19th birthday.

Trifone was stopped at a red light in the northbound lanes of U.S. 52. Stillabower's semi was behind him at the light. When the light turned green, Stillabower accelerated, running over the top of Trifone. Stillabower told police at the time that he did not see Trifone.

Lafayette Police Sergeant Max Smith said one witness told police Stillabower's semi was stopped about a foot behind Trifone's motorcycle. Smith said one witness reported that Trifone's motorcycle stalled when the light turned green.

Sgt. Smith said Stillabower tested negative for drugs and alcohol, and will not face any criminal charges in connection with the accident. Stillabower was issued a ticket for "unsafe starting," which carries a $130 fine.

Protest story: http://www.wlfi.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu591_3

Lafayette motorcyclists protest to raise awareness

Updated: Oct 3, 2008 10:44 PM CDT

Lafayette, Ind. (WLFI) - Motorcyclists react to finding out the semi driver who ran over and killed a Purdue student on bike will not be charged with a crime. Motorcyclists protested at the place where 19-year-old Bradley Trifone died last week. They blocked off all lanes of traffic on Sagamore Parkway at Teal road and held up signs read "See us?"

"We want people to know we're out here. Motorcycles are everywhere. You're cars are very dangerous to us," said motorcycle rider Anthony Wettschurack.

Traffic stood still for only a few minutes as motorcyclists called attention to their presence on the road. Afterwards, the bikers held up signs on the shoulder near the Tippecanoe Mall. Some were there to make drivers more conscious of motorcycles on the road. Others silently disapproved of the semi driver not being charged for killing a biker.

"We were appalled they only gave the driver a $130 ticket," said motorcycle rider Wesley Coffey while he held a sign that read "Can you see us?" We need to see stiffer laws against people injuring bike riders."

Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Pat Harrington said there were no charges filed in the accident because no laws were broken. The semi driver from Indianapolis was tested for drugs and alcohol and the tests were negative. So, he was not driving impaired. There was also no charge of reckless homicide because the driver did not knowing act in a way that could hurt someone. Harrington said often there are no charges filed in fatal accidents.

Lafayette Police officers asked the protestors to move on because they were on private property that belongs to the mall.

"I understand why you're doing it. I know you're doing it for a good reason, but that's the way it is," one officer said to the group.

The demonstration ended and the bikers merged back into traffic with other drivers. Many semi drivers who went by during the protest honked in support.

Last edited by fatvette; 10-06-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A professional truck driver is not aware of his surroundings?

So if you hit a school bus and kill some kids, but claim you didnt see the bus, you get a $130.00 fine.
Thats the way I read it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
A professional truck driver is not aware of his surroundings?

So if you hit a school bus and kill some kids, but claim you didnt see the bus, you get a $130.00 fine.
Thats the way I read it.
I guess he is not a professional! Just doesn't make sense....had to be distracted maybe! There is still no excuse for it!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatvette
Here are a couple of links to a story about a Purdue University ROTC student that was killed when ran over by a semi. Both were setting at a red light, light turns green, student kills bike, trucker runs over and kills biker. Trucker says he did not see bike and is punished with a $130 fine. What does everyone here think?

Story: http://www.wlfi.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu591_3

Protest story: http://www.wlfi.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu591_3
That is a sad story. I am kind of shocked that he is getting off free and clear (no $130 does not mean crap). I hope the protest goes well and your DA does not get voted back in ever again.

Not seeing a person is no excuse for running over some one. He should never be able to drive again (how he keeps a license to drive something that big is beyond me.)

Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone bother to check his log to see how long he'd been rolling? Sleep deprivation should carry the same penalties as a DUI.

I don't know anymore. I grew up on the road with Grandpa, but some of these guys on the road today shouldn't even have a DL for their private cars. Had a big rig try to run me off the road the other day, and I was driving a Dakota. A$$wipe took off my right rearview mirror with his smoke stack when our lanes merged after a light. Then he tried to tell me he had the right of way! What was I supposed to do, stay put at the line and wait until he found his gears? He was hammering it, acting like it was a drag race. The kid wasn't even finished puberty yet.

Like I said, I practically grew up on the road with Grandpa, I have a lot of respect for those guys. Its a hard way to make a living and they are the life blood of our economy, the ones that actually get the goods to where they need to be. But darn, that doesn't mean that they own the road.

riteowaysmcvp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was obviously not paying attention. Even if the bike did stall he did not keep enough distance. Make him pay and go to jail!

Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

This is horrible. The studen't family will likely file a civil suit againt the truck driver.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya see the problem is were are scoter trash and no body gives a poop about us. Heck for 130 dollars he can well afford to run over a few more, now we know our value in that state. It happens elsewhere also. Even if you are a drunk state senator named Janklow.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
This is horrible. The studen't family will likely file a civil suit againt the truck driver.
shame to say but thats where it will end up and the fight really gets ugly for all!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

It was an accident. No one should go to jail for an accident. The truck driver screwed up for sure, and he was ticketed accordingly. Why did the kid stall his motorcycle? Was it fit to be on the road? Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? Did he have his MC endorsement? I DON'T KNOW IF THE $130.00 FINE is proper but an accident is just that. FWIW I am not a truck driver nor have I ever been one.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!