General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These days it would be simple to either install a mirror or even better a camera to show the driver of a semi what is in front of his grill and behind his rear bumper.

Why are semi's not required to have an adequate view of their surroundings. There is no excuse for them to maintain major blind spots in their surroundings, or else they should be totally responsible for what happens if they do.

Last I heard there it is a legal requirement for any driver to be aware of everything around him so as to make the best effort to avoid collision. My dad was told that when a pedal biker going the wrong way illegally down a sidewalk crossed the street in front and got tagged by pops. Luckily POPs slammed on his brakes and just knocked the kid over so the lawsuit went no-where. Best effort to avoid includes NO BLIND SPOTS. That should go for SUVS and regular auto's as well.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
maybe we should get a National Rally in each state going on a certain day. A motorcycle Awareness day. We could coordinate it on the forum.
Ummmm, not to sound condescending here, but May is Official National Motorcycle Awareness Month. As much as the sitting congress can't manage do pass anything, that one they actually did. Your local SMRO be it ABATE or FORR, WORRA, MMA, etc. probably hosts one in your area. Illinois has done one at the capitol the first Sunday in May for decades now. One major problem over the past decade has been less and less participation but motorcycle registrations and endorsements have risen. SMRO's are not a "they" but a "we". The same people can't constantly volunteer their time year after year, others need to pick up the torch.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Rockr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've been reading this thread from the start, but i would like to comment. I live and work about 3 minutes from the location of this accident. The NEW rider, 19 y/o was followed into town by the semi driver, they were both stopped at the same light, truck behind the bike, the light turned green, rider stalled the bike, truck rolled over the top of him. It's truly sad that this occured, however it's important that we remember, when we purchase a new bike that we learn and practice safe riding habits. Not by any means that this would've prevented this particular accident but maybe so. The trucker will pay for this in more ways than just fines... including having to live with the fact that he accidentally killed a 19 y/o young man because of ignorance and not paying attention.. My understanding is that this bike was brand new, i firmly believe that he was very unfamiliar with the machine. Terribly sad tragedy for sure.. please all be careful and be very aware of your surroundings, your machine, and the fundamentals of riding.. be safe!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:44 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I have (in spite of your doubts) and due to my excellent reading comprehension skills, I've noted there's nothing more than an indication a witnessed stated the truck was about a foot behind the kid on the scooter at the light. The story did not indicate the witness claiming to have seen either the bike or the truck approaching the light, just their positions when they were stopped at the light.

If you've read something different, feel free to provide a link.

There are plenty of local Lafayette media and boards for you to fine tune your excellent reading comprehension skill...

And here's a Lafayette residents point of view....

Originally Posted by Rockr
I've been reading this thread from the start, but i would like to comment. I live and work about 3 minutes from the location of this accident. The NEW rider, 19 y/o was followed into town by the semi driver, they were both stopped at the same light, truck behind the bike, the light turned green, rider stalled the bike, truck rolled over the top of him. It's truly sad that this occured, however it's important that we remember, when we purchase a new bike that we learn and practice safe riding habits. Not by any means that this would've prevented this particular accident but maybe so. The trucker will pay for this in more ways than just fines... including having to live with the fact that he accidentally killed a 19 y/o young man because of ignorance and not paying attention.. My understanding is that this bike was brand new, i firmly believe that he was very unfamiliar with the machine. Terribly sad tragedy for sure.. please all be careful and be very aware of your surroundings, your machine, and the fundamentals of riding.. be safe!
The truck driver ran the kid over by not maintaining safe and proper distance.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
The truck driver ran the kid over by not maintaining safe and proper distance.
There is no doubt of that. It would clearly seem an undisputed fact that the kid was run over by the truck. It would also seem more than logical the trucker could not have run the kid over if he had maintained a safe & proper distance.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
It was an accident. No one should go to jail for an accident. The truck driver screwed up for sure, and he was ticketed accordingly. Why did the kid stall his motorcycle? Was it fit to be on the road? Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? Did he have his MC endorsement? I DON'T KNOW IF THE $130.00 FINE is proper but an accident is just that. FWIW I am not a truck driver nor have I ever been one.
The kid was an outstanding 19 year old and hadn't been riding but for a few weeks. I heard that he could have passed a drug and alcohol test on any day of his life, and he was wearing his helmet.

I look for this to be a bigger issue then simply us verses them. With the high cost of gas people are moving toward smaller cars and the truck driver forgot there was someone in front of him and COULD NOT SEE THE MOTORCYCLE over the hood of his truck.

I doubt that a rider with a bright helmet is any more difficult to see then a Mini Cooper or similiar vehicle.