General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
ChefE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grape ape
Aside from the fact that $130 is a woefully inadequate penalty, there’s something that just doesn’t make sense to me about this story. I read a post on another thread on this same subject from a guy familiar with the intersection that he suspects the motorcycle rider may have come up the turn lane and then pulled in front of the truck after it was already stopped at the light. I can see a 19 year old kid doing something like that just to get out in front. It’s just youth and inexperience unfortunately. I mean how could the truck not have seen the rider as the truck is approaching the light if the bike is already sitting there. If that were the case, it seems as if the truck would have hit him right then before the light even turned. I’m not defending the truck driver, just saying that this sounds more plausible.
Exactly what I was thinking. But since the kid was on a bike, there is no way he could ever have done anything wrong. People are so quick to place the blame on the truck driver when they don't know what happened. It is entirely possible that the kid came up in another lane and slipped in front of the truck, and being a former OTR driver, if that was the case, it would have been difficult to see him doing it. But the general thing is to believe that a person on a bike can never do anything that would have contributed to the accident. Unless you were there to see exactly what happened, how can you judge what should or should not be done to someone?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is no differant than many other traffic related deaths. If the trucker had killed student in a Miata, the outcome would probably have been the same.

When you get a chance, start looking at court records in your home town. You'll find that killing another driver is not that big of a deal. Even drunks get away with small fines and minimal punishment.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

Since motorcycles are considered inherently dangerous, no cages can be blamed for the death of a motorcyclist.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
2Sore
Road Master

A few years ago, a OTR trucker ran over a guy in a cage sitting at a stop lite and killed him. No drugs or alcohol involved. He got a ticket for failure to stop. Accidents happen. Insurance will pay and life goes on except for the guy that got killed. I survived an accident with a semi that would have killed a normal person. If I would have been killed, he would have gotten a ticket and my wife would have been rich. She brings that up from time to time.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefE
People are so quick to place the blame on the truck driver when they don't know what happened. It is entirely possible that the kid came up in another lane and slipped in front of the truck.
I have been driving tractor trailers now for 14 years and I see stupid, stupid, stupid **** all day every day. I see guys on crotch rockets and HARLEYS do some stupid, stupid, stupid ****.

None of us were there so hard to judge, the truck may have been "covering" the biker. If you ever sit in a Pete 379 extended hood then you would understand.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Hmmm, I'm reflecting on another thread about investigations and talking to cops or investigators. Obviously, they didn't do the pressure thing on this truck driver with the questions to trap him.
On the other hand, there are some folks I would like to run over and I'm sure most of you'all would help me with the $130 fine. 8-)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,796 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Let me see if I understand this. The motorcyclist is stopped at a light, A semi-tractor trailer operator rolls up behind the motorcyclist until he is in a blind spot (in front of the grill) the light turns green, the truck operator starts without waiting for the motorcyclist to clear the blind spot. The motorcyclist is run over and killed and this is an accident? Personal accountability has gone out the window on this one.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
SunRa73
Advanced

That is bull. chit.

That is all.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do any of us know if the bike didn't cut over on the truck at the last second?

Too quick to judge people.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't know nearly enough FACTS too make ANY kind of a call on this "accident".???

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!