General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Boggles the mind how this isn't textbook involuntary manslaughter. Just because you didn't mean to kill someone, doesn't mean you didn't and shouldn't have to answer for it. I run over someone in a crosswalk and say, "Oops, didn't see 'em. Sorry" and they're going to let me off with a $130 fine? Don't think so.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
This is horrible. The studen't family will likely file a civil suit againt the truck driver.
That's where the payback will come, as if you could ever reimburse a family for that. He stopped too close and couldn't see the bike over the hood, sounds like to me. Common law negligence?

Award should be huge.

$.02

Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't anyone think that pulling up close enough not to be able to see the vehicle in front of you isn't reckless endangerment!
Someone should Email that to his parents for the civil suit!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
It was an accident. No one should go to jail for an accident. The truck driver screwed up for sure, and he was ticketed accordingly. Why did the kid stall his motorcycle? Was it fit to be on the road? Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? Did he have his MC endorsement? I DON'T KNOW IF THE $130.00 FINE is proper but an accident is just that. FWIW I am not a truck driver nor have I ever been one.
He should have been charged with invoulentary manslaughter. His negligant act (pulling up so close to a stopped motorcycle so he could no see him) caused a young man's death! yes he should have been put in jail. I'll bet if it was your friends or family you might have a differant tune.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So, it seems like the biker wasn't there when the truck driver pulled up to the stop huh?

So that means the biker just popped out of thin air. That's the ONLY way it could be an accident.

I hope they clean that B@$tard out of every penny in civil court and the DA is not re-elected.

Just my .02.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
monster fxstc
Banned

It was an accident. No one should go to jail for an accident. The truck driver screwed up for sure, and he was ticketed accordingly. Why did the kid stall his motorcycle? Was it fit to be on the road? Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? Did he have his MC endorsement? I DON'T KNOW IF THE $130.00 FINE is proper but an accident is just that. FWIW I am not a truck driver nor have I ever been one.
Sorry, this don't cut it. There are laws that cover deaths when caused by an accident, in this case is would be vehicular manslaughter, manslaughter being the determining factor that there was no malice, but because of negligence a death had occurred.

Many folks have gone to prison when a death was caused by an accident and in this case the negligence was caused by the trucker not being far enough back to see the guy.

In this case, the dude should definitely go to prison.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me in Vegas. Luckily I was in my car. Said he didn't see me either. Pushed me into the car in front of me and I was at least 8 feet behind him. Guy in the car I hit jumped out ready to kick my a** until he saw what was up mine.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM
grape ape
Tourer

Aside from the fact that $130 is a woefully inadequate penalty, there’s something that just doesn’t make sense to me about this story. I read a post on another thread on this same subject from a guy familiar with the intersection that he suspects the motorcycle rider may have come up the turn lane and then pulled in front of the truck after it was already stopped at the light. I can see a 19 year old kid doing something like that just to get out in front. It’s just youth and inexperience unfortunately. I mean how could the truck not have seen the rider as the truck is approaching the light if the bike is already sitting there. If that were the case, it seems as if the truck would have hit him right then before the light even turned. I’m not defending the truck driver, just saying that this sounds more plausible.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

They say he wasnt drunk or high so he has no excuse really to plow over a bike that he HAD to see sitting at a stop light. There had to be one point in time as he approached and stopped at the light that there was a cycle there. He should be hung twice for being sober and still being so ignorant to kill someone like that.

My $0.02

Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ticketed accordingly? C'MON! He killed a kid! Man, talk about blaming someone else for our own stupid actions. He deserves jail. I was taught in drivers ed some 35 years ago you leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front to see thier rear bumper. Idiots..............

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist protest motorcyclist death!!!