General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09's hard to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,162 Likes on 508 Posts
Default '09's hard to get?

I've noticed several threads about folks who have ordered and are patiently waiting for their '09 Harleys.
Is this because these are special paint or options or something, that they needed to be ordered?
I've had my '09 since mid-August when I bought it essentially off the showroom floor.
Went and saw it on a Saturday, picked it up on Tuesday.
Did I just get lucky, or is it because its a straight-up stock model that most dealers have anyway (vivid black SG custom)??

Just curious, and I hope those waiting get to ride their new scoots soon!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my new '09 off the floor in early September. Asked the dealer about ordering a different color and they told me I pretty much couldn't. They said HD allocates each dealer so many bikes, and if you want one before they start production for that dealer you can order whatever paint. Otherwise you had to go from dealer to dealer to find the bike you want. Not sure if that's really true but, I am happy with the bike I got. I am however still waiting for my riders backrest that is still in production they say..... grrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife bought her '09 Sportster off the showroom floor on Labor Day. In Milwaukee. During the 105th. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:47 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not hard to get around here...3 dealers within 50 miles and maybe a dozen more with 100 miles...plenty of just about every model on the floors...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Classic coming in mid Nov. The reason for the wait is because my dealer didn't have that particular model on the floor. Even if they had it on the floor, more than likely the bike would not have been the color I wanted.

Yes, the bikes are allocated from what I am told. That makes sense to me. But, what they can do is go to a web-site and that site will tell them if Harley has allocated that particular model to them in the near future. They can not call Harley and just order what ever they want. OK...If that particular dealer will be receiving the model you want in the near future, in my case a Classic. The dealer can make changes to that bike,such as paint and options that comes from the factory.

I hope this helps to understand why some of us are waiting. Not the case everytime.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Adak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tima
I bought my new '09 off the floor in early September. Asked the dealer about ordering a different color and they told me I pretty much couldn't. They said HD allocates each dealer so many bikes, and if you want one before they start production for that dealer you can order whatever paint. Otherwise you had to go from dealer to dealer to find the bike you want. Not sure if that's really true but, I am happy with the bike I got. I am however still waiting for my riders backrest that is still in production they say..... grrrrrrrrrrr
Yep that's what my dealer told me, take what I have already on order or wait for the 2nd round of bike orders, I waited as I wanted a Sundglow Red Ultra Classic. Bike suppose to arrive some time mid November, no biggie as there will be snow and ice on the rode so I have a nice warm space in the garage for her!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by tima
They said HD allocates each dealer so many bikes, and if you want one before they start production for that dealer you can order whatever paint. Otherwise you had to go from dealer to dealer to find the bike you want.
Missed this part earlier. Your dealer must not have wanted to do any legwork for you. They can do dealer trades.

My wife didn't get the bike she orignally looked at on Labor Day. With all the vendor tents set up, she couldn't test ride it first, so we went back on Wednesday. We filled out a credit app, and waited until Friday to pick it up, as our salesman was off on Thursday. Friday, around lunchtime, salesman called Mrs. Grind with a new VIN. They dropped the original bike off a lift and got her a new one. Dunno how they managed to drop a bike off the lift, but they went halfway into the next state to get another one.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

While I was in Sturgis I looked at the new 2009 Screaming Eagle Road Glide. While at the convention center in Rapid City I called my local dealer and ordered one in orange and black. I’m still waiting. I was told last week that dealers receive “bar & shield” points giving them higher priority on receiving new bikes. I was told mine will not show until January. I’m waiting.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 PM
vV_juggernaut_Vv
Cruiser

i placed the order for my 08 back in August 2007 with a delivery date of December 2007. due to a backlog on the ABS option for VRSCDs i didn't take delivery until April 2008. my order was through AAFES military sales so that may have also been a delaying factor as well

Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 AM
un3asyrider
Road Captain

i sold cars and bikes, and that is something we tell you so we dont have to go through the hassle and expense of trading. if a dealer wont do it, id go to another that would.

Quick Reply: '09's hard to get?